This week my guest is Bob Hall. Bob shares with us some great tips for managing your brewing water and mash pH. Bob teaches biology and ecology at the University of Wyoming and has been homebrewing for 23 years.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (35:56)
- Bob Hall is this week’s guest. Bob has been homebrewing for 23 years, and is a Grandmaster Beer Judge. He teaches ecology and biology at the University of Wyoming.
- Dr Hall explains the relationship between freshwater ecology and brewing beer
- We talk about why pH is so important in brewing better beer – especially in the mash
- Bob tells us why most groundwater is alkaline
- We discuss the control of pH in the mash and some methods for measuring and controlling pH.
- Bob also talks about the use of darker grains to control mash pH
- We talk about the use of buffers such as 5.2 stabilizer to control pH
- Residual alkalinity is explained and Bob offers some advice on alkalinity and residual alkalinity
- We finish by discussing some additional tips for making better beer
Thanks to Bob Hall for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Beer Brewing Water with John Palmer – BeerSmith Podcast #60
- Beer Brewing Water with John Palmer and Colin Kaminski – BeerSmith Podcast #70
- Residual Alkalinity and pH for All Grain Beer Brewing
- Beer Fermentation with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #91
- Using the New Brewing Water and Mash pH Tools in BeerSmith 2.3
- Beer Water Testing with Christian Krzykwa – BeerSmith Podcast #118
- Water Alkalinity and Mash pH for Brewing Beer
- Should You Treat Your Sparge Water for Home Brewing?
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now