This week we talk about how to make the switch into all grain beer brewing. My guest is Chris Graham, Chief Operating Officer of MoreBeer and also a Brewer’s Association board member and American Homebrew Association Governing Council member.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (35:55)
- Chris Graham is my guest this week to talk about how to make the transition to all grain. Chris is a long time homebrewer, the Chief Operating Officer of homebrew supplier MoreBeer and also a Brewer’s Association board member and American Homebrew Association Governing Council member.
- Chris starts with a discussion of why a brewer would want to make the transition to all grain from extract brewing and what the advantages are of all grain brewing.
- We talk about mashing (which is the big difference from brewing with extract), and what is actually going on in the mashing process.
- Chris explains what extra equipment is needed to brew an all grain batch of beer
- We talk about what an infusion mash and how its done
- Chris discusses how you maintain the mash temperature during the mash process
- We talk about testing for completion of sugar conversion
- Chris walks us through the sparging/lautering process for an average all grain batch
- We talk about full volume boils and where all grain brewing is the same as extract brewing
- Chris discusses the Brew-in-a-bag (or BIAB) alternative – which is an ever cheaper way to get into all grain beer brewing
- He talks about the recent More Beer expansion and what it offers to home brewers
- Chris offers some closing advice on all grain brewing and also fermentation
Thanks to Chris Graham for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Kegging your Home Brewed Beer with Chris Graham- BeerSmith Podcast #79
- Bohemian Pilsner Beer Brewing with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #99
- Brewing on a Budget with Chris Graham – BSHB Podcast 19
- Chilling Your Wort with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #107
- Beer Fermentation with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #91
- All Grain Beer Brewing Equipment with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #140
- Designing Beer with Denny Conn – BeerSmith Podcast #55
- American Homebrewers Association with Gary Glass – BeerSmith Podcast 44
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now