This week Burghard Meyer joins us from the Research and Teaching Institute in Berlin (VLB) to discuss professional brewing education and how you can get the training needed to become a certified brewmaster.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (31:57)
- Burghard Meyer from the Research and Teaching Institute for Brewing (VLB) in Berlin is my guest this week. Burghard is the Head Teacher of International Brewing Courses for the institute. He has degrees in Biotechnology and Brewing Technology, and previously brewed at the Bolten-Brauerei Carl Bolten GmbH & Co Brewery. He is suppoerted by Jan Biering who has an Engineering degree and also teaches at the institute. He is also headmaster of the Berlin Brewer’s Guild.
- We start with a discussion of how Burghard got started in brewing and gained a passion for brewing beer.
- Burghard explains the advantage of a professional beer education for those considering a career in brewing.
- We talk about how much time and money it takes to become a Certified Brewmaster
- Burghard explains the topics covered in the Certified Brewmaster course, including both classroom work and also practical experience on their pilot brewing system
- We talk about scaling a recipe up from a small pilot brewery to professional brewing scales
- We briefly discuss the business side of running a brewery and education for that
- Burghard shares with us his thoughts on the importance of apprenticeships and discusses this system in Germany
- We talk about the variety of courses the VLB offers for brewers including those just starting in professional brewing, as well as those looking to become certified brewers
- Burghard shares his thoughts on the growth of home brewing in Germany
- We discuss his final advice for home brewers and those considering going pro in beer brewing
Thanks to Burghard Meyer for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Beer Brewing Like a Pro – BSHB Podcast #7
- Designing Beer with Ray Daniels – BeerSmith Podcast #64
- Hops and Malt with John Mallett from Bell’s – BeerSmith Podcast #69
- Wild Yeast Beer Brewing with Booth’s Homebrewing – BeerSmith Podcast #71
- Hops and Firestone Walker with Matt Brynildson – BeerSmith Podcast #139
- Nano-Brewery Start Up with Michael Mraz – BeerSmith Podcast #97
- Nanobrewing Beer with Michael Mraz – BeerSmith Podcast #57
- Modern Times Brewery Follow Up – BeerSmith Podcast #68
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now