Hop techniques for beer brewing is this week’s topic. Grandmaster beer judge and award winning brewer Gordon Strong joins me this week and shares his thoughts on a wide variety of hop techniques including first wort hopping, aroma hop additions and dry hops.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (48:45)
- Gordon Strong is my guest this week! Gordon is a three time Ninkasi award winner, President of the Beer Judge Certification Program, winner of the AHA governing committee lifetime achievement award, and also author of the book Brewing Better Beer (Amazon Affiliate Link). Gordon is also a Grandmaster beer judge.
- Gordon starts with discussing why various hop techniques are important for creating great beer.
- We talk about mash hopping – which uses hops in the mash itself. Neither one of us favor this method.
- Gordon walks us through First Wort Hopping which is a technique that Gordon really likes. In FWH the hops are added near the start of the sparge to the boiler, and the hops remain in the boiler during the boil.
- We discuss boil hop additions and how they add bitterness (IBUs) to the beer. Gordon also gives his thoughts on boiling with a single additions versus more frequent hop additions.
- Gordon talks about why its important to limit your hop boil time.
- Gordon explains the use of late hop additions (aroma, steeped or whirlpool hops). These late additions preserve the very volatile hop oils that provide an extra boost of hop flavor and aroma.
- We discuss what a hop back is and how it is used.
- We talk about dry hopping and what the appropriate contact time is for dry hopping.
- Gordon shares his thoughts on applying various beer techniques to various styles. He explains how achieving the right bitterness balance is critical.
- Gordon gives his closing thoughts on hop techniques.
Thanks to Gordon Strong for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Advanced Home Brewing with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 39
- Oktoberfest and Marzen Beers with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 48
- Porter Beer Recipes with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 26
- Going All Grain with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast #16
- Judging Beer with Grandmaster Gordon Strong – BSHB Podcast #6
- The 2015 BJCP Beer Style Guide with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast #104
- Modern Homebrew Recipes with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast #130
- Best Hop Techniques for Homebrewing
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now