This week on the BeerSmith podcast we talk about brewing the perfect German Schwarzbier (Black beer). Jason Jaworowicz from Rivertown Homebrewers is my guest, and he provides a detailed walkthrough on how to brew this rich German lager.
iTunes Announcements: I launched a new video channel for the BeerSmith podcast on iTunes, so subscribe now! At the moment it will only feature the new widescreen episodes (#75 and up). Older episodes are available on my revamped Youtube channel. Also all 76 audio episodes are on iTunes now – so grab the older episodes if you missed any.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and Save As to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (42:14)
- Jason Jaworowicz is my guest this week. Jason is President of the Grandville Michigan based home brewing club Rivertown Homebrewers. Jason is a process engineer with Stryker in Portage Michigan, and has been brewing since 2009.
- Jason explains what the Schwarzbier style is and a bit about the history of German Black beer.
- We talk about the style itself including BJCP guidelines and what Schwarzbier looks and tastes like.
- Jason explains how to brew a Schwarzbier starting with the grain bill.
- We talk about the mash profile he prefers, as well as the hop schedule.
- Jason tells us which yeast he prefers and how to cold ferment this beer style.
- We discuss carbonation and serving considerations.
- Jason spends a minute talking about his new home brew club Rivertown Homebrewers.
- We talk about the upcoming AHA National Homebrew conference which will be in his home town of Grand Rapids Michigan in June.
- Jason adds a thumbs up for his local brewer supply shop Siciliano’s Market.
Thanks to Jason Jaworowicz for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or BeerSmith Radio
You can listen to all of my podcast episodes streaming live around the clock on our BeerSmith Radio online radio station! You can also subscribe to the audio or video using the iTunes links below, or the feed address
- Audio feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/content/feed/podcast )
- Video feed on iTunes – (direct: http://beersmith.com/tv/category/podcast/feed/ )
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (or use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Growing Hops with Jason Perrault – BeerSmith Podcast 41
- German Wheat Beer with John Palmer – BeerSmith Podcast #116
- Brewing Beer Around the World with Stan Hieronymus – BeerSmith Podcast #83
- Schwarzbier Recipes – German Black Beer
- Trends in Home Brewing with Jake Keeler – BeerSmith Podcast #84
- Czech Lagers with Chris Lohring – BeerSmith Podcast #113
- All BeerSmith Podcast Episodes on iTunes Now!
- The 2015 BJCP Beer Style Guide with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast #104
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now