• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What are you brewing next? ...official brewing log thread

This was a big brewing weekend for me. I bottled my mead, brewed a Mocha Latte Stout, and made a Spruce Porter from the same grains. 10.5 gals brewed in all and bubbling away like crazy. Mirror Pond Pale got pushed off the schedule for now as hubby was running low on Stout and I gotta keep him happy :-*

Last Saturday I brewed my first BeerSmith recipe home brew... It's sitting in the primary & I'm racking to 2ndary tonight. It's my own 90 minute IPA with an IBU of 65.
It's a beautiful coppery orange in color & I used Amarillo & Cascade in the boil & dry hopping with Amarillo. BeerSmith 2 kicks ASS

I just brewed a Raspberry Wheat Lager and American Amber Ale (aka Mirror Pond Clone)... another big brew week. I'm taking advantage of down time from work and planning a few more brew sessions before I get busy again. I'm struggling to keep production up with consumption!  ;D

haven't brewed in over a year.  So i am  brewing an extract/steep of an American amber ale i have formulated using this software i got for Christmas.  hope to step up to partial mash next.

Today it's Irish Red,
What that has to do with Ground Hog Day,
I have no idea - but I always try to brew something on every holiday.

Attachments

• Label Image.JPG
    Label Image.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 1
Brewing two ten gallons batches
One being Bells Two Hearted , and 3 Floyd's Gumball head , then off to to some  wheat beers....
Does any one have a good wheat beer in mind , I bought 100 pounds of wheat I need to use and 150 pounds of two row , I also bought chocolate , crystal 60 , and cara- pils at 25 pounds each
I have alpha king, Octoberfest,Gumball head ,and rye Ipa, and flounders porter on tap.
Thanks

I was in the UK a few years ago and was lucky to get a couple of the last pints (ever) of the Bass/Worthington White Shield IPA from the Bass Museum in Burton Upon Trent.  (The museum was closed because the US parent company - Coors - decided to close the museum and the museum brewery was decommissioned).   

Drinking this superb ale in the Mecca of British brewing was Nirvana - so I have designed a clone based on the recipe provided by Graham Wheeler and Roger Protz in their book, "Brew Your Own British Real Ale".  I have had to adjust the amount of hops called for in the book, because according to BeerSmith the amount recommended would produce an IBU of 87!  The book states that the resulting IBU is 40.  I also upped the colour by added a bit more crystal malt than the recipe calls for, I may relent on brew day.

White Shield:

Grains
8 lbs 11.6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row)
1 lbs 4.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

Hops
20g Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
15 g Northdown [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
10 g Northdown [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min

Yeast
1.0 pkg London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318)

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG 
Est Final Gravity: 1.016SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 42.4 IBUs
Est Color: 9.8 SRM

Method
BIAB with a recirculating pump to keep the grain active.  This is an untried method for me, but I am optimistic it may produce a 70% efficiency.  (I may be adding some DME at the boil to get the hydrometer up to 1.050.)

I'm a gonna brew up a porter and once it finishes primary I'm gonna dump it on some charred oak chips I soaked my moonshine in to give it a bourbon flaver. So I guess you could call it a moonshine porter.

Next up is Denny Conn's "Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter", aka BVIP, with Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout as a follow up on the same grains. I have two empty fermenters, so it will be a busy weekend!

Hi...first post.  I was motivated to join in by your newsletter about what to brew when.  I'd add that many of us can only brew lagers in the winter when porches or back stairwells are cold enough to crudely lager. 
Sorry if that's off topic...
Meanwhile, next brewday will be Adventurous Joe Coffee Porter.  (see the web site)
Expecting about a foot of snow here today so postponed brewing to tomorrow.
CHEERS!

Starting a batch of Strawberry Blonde Ale tonight .. needs to be ready for Spring Fever !

Cream Ale, had a taste for it lately. trying to find something close to Genesee cream ale, if anyone has any suggestions let me know. thanks!

Next up "Pliney the Elder".  Pulling out all the stops:

2L yeast starter
DI/Carbon-block water mix with appropriate salts
pH measurement and control
New boil kettle (including integral immersion chiller)
And full fermentation temperature control using new fermentation room and fermenter heaters

I have 1 pound each of Centennial, Columbus, and Simcoe...enough for 3 five gallon batches

Real Root Beer

5 gallons, partial mash

Ingredients:

2 lbs. crushed mild ale malt
1 lb. dark crystal malt, 120° Lovibond
0.25 lb. black malt
0.25 lb. chocolate malt
3 lbs. unhopped dark dry malt extract
0.5 lb. dark unsulphured molasses
4 oz. maltodextrin powder
1 oz. Cluster hop pellets (7% alpha acid), for 60 min.
0.5 oz. sassafras bark
0.5 oz. sarsaparilla bark
1 oz. dried wintergreen leaves
0.5 oz. shredded licorice root
pinch sweet gale (optional)
pinch star anise (optional)
pinch mace (optional)
pinch coriander (optional)
dash black cherry juice (optional)
10 to 14 g. dry ale yeast
2 oz. lactose powder
7/8 cup corn sugar
0.5 cup spice tea (pinch wintergreen, sarsaparilla, licorice root)
corn sugar for priming
Step by Step:

In 1 gal. water mash crystal, black, chocolate, and mild ale malts at 155° F for 60 minutes. Sparge with 1.5 gals. at 170° F. Add 1 gal. water to kettle and bring to a boil. Add dark dry malt, maltodextrin, and molasses. Stir well to avoid scorching. Add Cluster hops and boil 60 minutes. At kettle knockout steep your spice combination (in a mesh bag) as wort cools. Pour into fermenter and top up to 5.25 gals. Cool to 75° F and pitch ale yeast. Ferment seven to 10 days at about 70° F, rack to secondary, and condition at 60° F for two weeks. Prime with corn sugar, add strained spice tea (1/2 cup boiling water over spices for at least a half hour), and bottle. Age two to three weeks cool (55° F).

I avoided the all the optional ingredients but the star anise and doubled the sassafras bark to avoid sarsaparilla bark.  Still looking for wintergreen leaves (can't find those things anywhere but online or in liquid form and I don't wan't that) and have lactose powder on order.  I have two fat sticks of licorice root weighing like 1.5 oz and a 15 oz bottle of molasses.  The recipe calls for a half pound of molasses but I think I'm gonna put all 15oz in there hoping for a higher alcohol content.

Here are my questions:
When do I add the lactose powder?
How do I shred the licorice root appropriately?
Can I use a big ass tea bag for the spices and just dump out what's in there and fill and re-seal?
Also the sparging thing is a little unclear to me.  I have one 4.5 gallon cooking pot so how do I pull that off?

Any ideas?

Thanks and Cheers!
-Eric

Summer beer!

Attachments

• Citrus and Honey American Wheat.html
    9.4 KB · Views: 3
Brewmaster5150 said:
Real Root Beer

5 gallons, partial mash

Ingredients:

2 lbs. crushed mild ale malt
1 lb. dark crystal malt, 120° Lovibond
0.25 lb. black malt
0.25 lb. chocolate malt
3 lbs. unhopped dark dry malt extract
0.5 lb. dark unsulphured molasses
4 oz. maltodextrin powder
1 oz. Cluster hop pellets (7% alpha acid), for 60 min.
0.5 oz. sassafras bark
0.5 oz. sarsaparilla bark
1 oz. dried wintergreen leaves
0.5 oz. shredded licorice root
pinch sweet gale (optional)
pinch star anise (optional)
pinch mace (optional)
pinch coriander (optional)
dash black cherry juice (optional)
10 to 14 g. dry ale yeast
2 oz. lactose powder
7/8 cup corn sugar
0.5 cup spice tea (pinch wintergreen, sarsaparilla, licorice root)
corn sugar for priming
Step by Step:

In 1 gal. water mash crystal, black, chocolate, and mild ale malts at 155° F for 60 minutes. Sparge with 1.5 gals. at 170° F. Add 1 gal. water to kettle and bring to a boil. Add dark dry malt, maltodextrin, and molasses. Stir well to avoid scorching. Add Cluster hops and boil 60 minutes. At kettle knockout steep your spice combination (in a mesh bag) as wort cools. Pour into fermenter and top up to 5.25 gals. Cool to 75° F and pitch ale yeast. Ferment seven to 10 days at about 70° F, rack to secondary, and condition at 60° F for two weeks. Prime with corn sugar, add strained spice tea (1/2 cup boiling water over spices for at least a half hour), and bottle. Age two to three weeks cool (55° F).

I avoided the all the optional ingredients but the star anise and doubled the sassafras bark to avoid sarsaparilla bark.  Still looking for wintergreen leaves (can't find those things anywhere but online or in liquid form and I don't wan't that) and have lactose powder on order.  I have two fat sticks of licorice root weighing like 1.5 oz and a 15 oz bottle of molasses.  The recipe calls for a half pound of molasses but I think I'm gonna put all 15oz in there hoping for a higher alcohol content.

Here are my questions:
When do I add the lactose powder?
How do I shred the licorice root appropriately?
Can I use a big ass tea bag for the spices and just dump out what's in there and fill and re-seal?
Also the sparging thing is a little unclear to me.  I have one 4.5 gallon cooking pot so how do I pull that off?

Any ideas?

Thanks and Cheers!
-Eric
I made that for Christmas.
The instructions are very vague.
That's too much molasses for my taste. I'd cut it in half.
Here is how I did it.
It turned out really good except for the molasses being overpowering.
I suppose a 4.5 gallon pot would work. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't boil over.
Good Luck!!

Attachments

• Real Root Beer AG 5 Gal.bsmx
    26.2 KB · Views: 3
Back