• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.

Will you brew this?

• Total voters
Brewmex41 said:
Also, scott, maybe we can do this as a homebrew club thing as well. Do you guys ever do competitions within the club?

We've talked about it.  We're going to do a potluck party at my house sometime in the future.  We'll each bring a food dish to share and a beer ingredient.  We'll sift through the beer ingredients and come up with a beer to brew on my equipment.  We'll then bottle it and share it amongst ourselves at a future pot luck party.

We've discussed an in club brewing championship also.  Bring up any ideas you have at our monthly meetings.

8 down, 2 to go.

well so far so good. looks like where're almost there. I've got to say that the more I think about this idea the more I like it. one thing, the waiting is killing me. I have not brewed for all most 3 weeks and that's a 10 month record for me. been brewing every week or two for 30 batches now, so please someone jump on board so we can light this fuse.

I'm mildly interested in this, simply for the challenge of it, but I've not had a great experience with collaborative recipe making in the past. I've almost exclusively designed my own recipes, sometimes using recipes I've found as inspiration or general guidelines, and I've never brewed a kit (at least not an AG kit).

When I participated in a community brew before, the beer ended up interesting but not very good--drinkable, but you had to have a real tolerance for weird. It was fairly universally panned by all who participated. So you have a potential here to create something fun to brew but too bizarre to drink... or you can create something entirely banal, and that's not very fun. As long as this recipe is created with an adventurous spirit but a heavy dose of reality and common sense, and a judicious blend of democracy (meaning the majority can overrule a truly off-the-wall suggestion if it clearly is not befitting of the greater good), then it could work.

My bigger concern is the suggestion that "you don't have to brew the recipe exactly as designed." If not, then why participate in this experiment at all? To me, the reason for this experiment is to establish a baseline from which everyone can share their experience and converse on it meaningfully. If we're all allowed to go off on tangents and change this or that in the recipe, what is the point of a collaborative recipe? Since the participants in the experiment are not likely going to be sharing their creation with all of the other participants, there is no frame of reference if you start talking about what your modifications did to the resulting beer. This isn't like a brew club meeting where you can take in your beer and get the collective opinions of your fellow homebrewers. The recipe is our "control," and it's our various equipment, processes and experience that should be the variables. An experiment like this is less about the end product itself and more about the perceptions of that end product--if that makes sense.

What I'm suggesting is that if you decide to change any ingredient in the recipe, that you don't participate in the conversation regarding the final beer. Certainly, anyone can brew anything they want, but if I'm going to participate in a collaborative experiment, it must be a true collaboration. Otherwise, I'll just go ahead and brew any old thing I want.

Thoughts?

My main goal is for us to pass down some of the thought processes we go through when designing our recipes.  There are always new brewers joining this forum that want to design their own recipes, but don't know where to start.

As for having the option to not brew the recipe, far be it from me to tell someone what they have to brew or not.  That is not my decision to make, nor do I want to create a rule such as that.  I do believe that many people will brew the recipe and we will get constructive feedback from those brewers.

This isn't about creating the perfect recipe.  It's about helping other brewers, be they new or advanced.  We can all learn from one another.

The guidelines were put in place so that we end up designing a "to style" recipe.  I hope that you or others will join us.

Alright, just to say I helped get this project rolling, I'll volunteer as #10 (does that mean I'm first on the bench?). I think the idea is good here, but whether I brew it or not will depend on whether there is a quorum of others who decide to brew it as-is, so we can compare meaningful notes on our experiences.

Let's rock.

Welcome CM!

I'm going to put all the names in a hat and pull them out.  I'll post the order in a few minutes.

Here we go!

Here is the order, as I drew it out of a cardboard box.  I didn't have a hat handy.

DRB1215 -              Style of recipe to be designed.
Road Rocket -        Base Grain and quantity.
All Grain -              Specialty grain and quantity.
Scott Ickes -          Second specialty grain and quantity.
Brewmex41 -          Third specialty grain and quantity.
WinnepegFats -      First hop type, quantity and time added.
Billy Brew -              Second hop type, quantity and time added.
Bucknut -                Third hop type, quantity and time added.
Grathan -                Mash temperature.
CMBrougham -        Yeast selection.

dbr1215You're up.  Please select a style of beer for us to brew.  Please tell us why you'd like to design this style.  According to the rules, it has to be in the "Ale" category.  Once you've made your choice, it will be open for discussion. 

To all:Let's play nice here!  Try to keep your comments friendly and tactful with every step of the design.  If the style isn't something you normally brew or drink, think of it as a learning experience.  Once each decision is locked in, I'll move this along to the next contributor.

Also, please remember, there are other contributors coming up after you on grains and hops, so if you're first up, you don't have to necessarily get all of the gravity or bitterness with your selection. 

Once we've went through the entire recipe, we can make adjustments at the end, based on the opinions of the group.  The goal is to create a great beer recipe and have fun while doing it.

Sooooooooooo....Dan....what is your style choice?

MRMARTINSALES said:

We're all full for this one.  I'll put you on the waiting list for this one.  If someone drops out, you'll be first in line to replace them.

You may comment, ask questions, make suggestions on this one.  You are definitely the first one in on the next one that we do.

Here we go,  and sorry for the late reply!

Giving some thought into a style with so many contributors I came up with :

Robust Porter (12B)

It's a style that has lots of possibilities,  and a good way to use up extra grain you may have left over.

Happy Brewing!
-Dan

Nice. I'm all +1 and stuff on that style choice. I love a good porter, so this will make the experiment more interesting (for me, anyway).

That is a fantastic choice. I have a good base recipe for a cream porter that i have been making changes to. I just did a porter with powdered peanut butter and lactose on Saturday.

Im excited for this one.

this choice is good for me also. I have been thinking of brewing a porter for a while now. I can almost taste it already. 

So, how will the "voting" work on each phase of the design process? Do we have to reach a quorum, or is a general vibe of "yeah, that's cool--next" enough?

Great choice Dan!  +1 coming your way!!!  It is a style that most people like making and drinking.  I just posted in the recipe threads on my Brews Brothers Porter which is made in this style.  I'm very curious to see how closely it resembles that one, or if it moves away from what I made.

As for what we're going to do moving foward.  We will have comments, suggestions, etc. at each stage.  If I see that their are no major objections, I'll move it on to the next step in the process.  If we have concerns, we'll deal with them as a group.  Hopefully, we'll have a consensus eventually.  We seem to have a positive consensus on the style choice already, so we'll move to step two and Road Rocket.

Road Rocket:Please give us your base grain choice and quantity, with your reasoning for your choice.  Please provide your thought processes on the base grain and the quantity both.

I thought it would be a good idea to post the style guidelines as guidance for everyone.  I know that you can look it up in beersmith or online, but having it in the thread might be easier for everyone.

Robust Porter:

Type: Ale
Category Number: 12B
Original Gravity: 1.048-1.065 SG
Color: 22.0-35.0 SRM
Final Gravity: 1.012-1.016 SG
Bitterness: 25.0-50.0 IBUs
Carbonation: 1.80-2.50 Vols
Alcohol by Volume: 4.80-6.50 %

Description: A substantial, malty dark ale with a complex and flavorful roasty character. Stronger, hoppier and/or roastier version of porter designed as either a historical throwback or an American interpretation of the style. Traditional versions will have a more subtle hop character (often English), while modern versions may be considerably more aggressive. Both types are equally valid. Although a rather broad style open to brewer interpretation, it may be distinguished from Stout as lacking a strong roasted barley character. It differs from a brown porter in that a black patent or roasted grain character is usually present, and it can be stronger in alcohol. Roast intensity and malt flavors can also vary significantly. May or may not have a strong hop character, and may or may not have significant fermentation by-products; thus may seem to have an “American” or “English” character.

Profile:

Aroma: Roasty aroma (often with a lightly burnt, black malt character) should be noticeable and may be moderately strong. Optionally may also show some additional malt character in support (grainy, bready, toffee-like, caramelly, chocolate, coffee, rich, and/or sweet). Hop aroma low to high (US or UK varieties). Some American versions may be dry-hopped. Fruity esters are moderate to none. Diacetyl low to none.

Appearance: Medium brown to very dark brown, often with ruby- or garnet-like highlights. Can approach black in color. Clarity may be difficult to discern in such a dark beer, but when not opaque will be clear (particularly when held up to the light). Full, tan-colored head with moderately good head retention.

Flavor: Moderately strong malt flavor usually features a lightly burnt, black malt character (and sometimes chocolate and/or coffee flavors) with a bit of roasty dryness in the finish. Overall flavor may finish from dry to medium-sweet, depending on grist composition, hop bittering level, and attenuation. May have a sharp character from dark roasted grains, although should not be overly acrid, burnt or harsh. Medium to high bitterness, which can be accentuated by the roasted malt. Hop flavor can vary from low to moderately high (US or UK varieties, typically), and balances the roasted malt flavors. Diacetyl low to none. Fruity esters moderate to none.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Moderately low to moderately high carbonation. Stronger versions may have a slight alcohol warmth. May have a slight astringency from roasted grains, although this character should not be strong.

Ingredients: May contain several malts, prominently dark roasted malts and grains, which often include black patent malt (chocolate malt and/or roasted barley may also be used in some versions). Hops are used for bittering, flavor and/or aroma, and are frequently UK or US varieties. Water with moderate to high carbonate hardness is typical. Ale yeast can either be clean US versions or characterful English varieties.

Examples: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, Meantime London Porter, Anchor Porter, Smuttynose Robust Porter, Sierra Nevada Porter, Deschutes Black Butte Porter, Boulevard Bully! Porter, Rogue Mocha Porter, Avery New World Porter, Bell’s Porter, Great Divide Saint Bridget’s Porter

Thanks Scott for posting info about the style!

Just so that we have some consistency in this adventure in homebrewing, as well as having a way to label our recipe which I hope will eventually end up in the recipe section of the BeerSmith website...how about naming it:

Collaboration Porter  simple, but to the point!

-Dan

Back