• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

hops

tstalhood

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi, I come across this site and thought maybe it would be helpful...we live on a farm that we normally lease out but we have talked to a few people, (we are from Michigan) and discussed growing hops.  We don't know much about it but have read some articles online.  We wanna start off growing a small amount just to see how well it grows and produces.  My queston is, what is the best hops or the most demanded, and where do we buy it to start?

Thanks in advance

The hops market is shifting towards more aroma and dual purpose varieties and away from "old school" bittering varieties. A hop grower survey last year showed that Craft Beer is consuming 53% of the domestic hop crop. For 8% of the total beer market, that's a lot of IPA!

Your research has probably already told you about your soil needs, sunlight and the 3 to 5 year maturation time before a full crop yield (partial yields in the meantime). Hopefully you're aware of hop susceptibility to powdery mildew.

Your investment should include a way to strip cones from the bines, then dry and compress the cones for good storage.

If I'm not mistaken, University of Minnesota has a hop program. There is also a hop development grower, Great Lakes Hops, in Zeeland, Michigan.

Best of Luck!

brewfun said:
The hops market is shifting towards more aroma and dual purpose varieties and away from "old school" bittering varieties. A hop grower survey last year showed that Craft Beer is consuming 53% of the domestic hop crop. For 8% of the total beer market, that's a lot of IPA!
Your research has probably already told you about your soil needs, sunlight and the 3 to 5 year maturation time before a full crop yield (partial yields in the meantime). Hopefully you're aware of hop susceptibility to powdery mildew.
Your investment should include a way to strip cones from the bines, then dry and compress the cones for good storage.
If I'm not mistaken, University of Minnesota has a hop program. There is also a hop development grower, Great Lakes Hops, in Zeeland, Michigan.
Best of Luck!

Brewfun +1!!

Back