• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scaling Recipes for Commercial Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I (we) have recently purchased a 3bbl system and are currently running test batches at a 1bbl level. We have run into issues with efficiencies are not hitting our targets in terms of Pre-boil gravity and post boil gravity.

I used the software and entered the mash tun specs.

I feel like we are missing something, but I am at a loss as to what we are missing.

Any suggestions?

Hi Brad

Is "Large Batch Hop Util" now somewhat redundant given that we can specify a "Whirlpool Time (above 85 C)" value and chose to "Estimate Boil Hop Util in Whirlpool"?

Other than this increased whirlpool stand above 85C, I don't see any other reason why "large boils simply extract more bitterness" - it was never discussed when I studied my Graduate Diploma of Brewing and I'm struggling to find any reference to it in any of my texts or online resources.

Cheers
Brad

PS Cool name!

I don't honestly know the cause, but I can tell you that if you take a pilot 10 or 15 gallon recipe and scale it up to 10 barrels without adjusting the hops it will be much too hoppy!  I believe it is related to the kettle geometry that results in higher isomerization at commercial scales.  This is a pretty well known effect, at least among those who brew commercially and I know there are many hundreds of breweries using BeerSmith to scale up batches in this way.

Keep in mind that the Tinseth and other utilization equations were developed in labs on small batches, not on commercial size batches. 

Brad

I have 12500 Litre =106.6 bbl (US) Brewlength. How to set equipment profile for the same.

Ankurnapa said:
I have 12500 Litre =106.6 bbl (US) Brewlength. How to set equipment profile for the same.

Whenever I commission a new brewhouse, I start with a series of water batches to sort out volumes, flow and temperature losses. If you start with a known volume of water and run it through each vessel as if brewing, you'll have a final volume that is less than what you started. This will tell you the losses accumulated and you can just input those numbers into the equipment profile you create for your system.

So, the difference between what you add to the mash/lauter (either single vessel of mash cooker. lauter combo) and what you  collect in the boil kettle are your "Lauter Tun Losses." If you have to add foundation water to the lauter or cooker and that water is later collected to the kettle, the amount is entered as "Mash Tun Addition."

Similarly, the difference between post boil kettle volume and what you collect in a fermenter gets entered as "Loss to Trub and Chiller." When the percentage of fermenter volume to the post boil kettle volume is what you multiply by your expected mash efficiency to get brewhouse efficiency.

These will rough you in and then you can refine your numbers based on actual results for absorption, trub, and yield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back