• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash pH & IBU

yso191

Brewer
Reaction score
I recently learned from Martin Brungard that lower mash pH (5.2-5.3 and below) will inhibit Alpha Acid isomerization/absorption in wort due to the fact that it is an acid in a more acidic liquid.  As a consequence he recommends a mash pH of 5.4 for IPAs.

Today I wondered if manipulating the mash pH in BeerSmith would change the predicted IBUs.  It did not. 

Any thoughts on this?  It seems like it would really be a valuable piece if info to see how one effects the other.

Steve

Man....  I'm so conflicted by these statements....

Ok, on the one hand, yes you get "more" bitterness at higher pH. BUT, the texture changes, too. Higher pH leads to coarser bitterness perception without necessarily being more IBUs. Though, the theory of more hop utilization at higher pH is sound. In fact, if you could take the boil all the way up to 8 pH, you could get 90% utilization.

...But, it'd be a viscous, harsh mess.

The reality is that some acidity smooths bitterness. A couple of tenths can make the bitterness seem stronger, but it depends on a lot of factors, like CoHumulone level, yeast pitch rate and a long list of others.

Kettle and mash pH drop because of calcium phosphate precipitation. The more Calcium, the easier the precipitation. The two important results of this lower kettle pH is better protein breaks, as well as shorter yeast lag times.

The first time I heard of a correlation between MASH pH and hop utilization was from the Co-Author of the water book, Colin Cominsky. His water is very different than mine (I'm also a commercial brewer). My water has calcium levels of 70 to over 100 ppm. My IPA mashes range from 5.2 to 5.4 and there is no change in measured IBUs. 

Interestingly, Tom Shellhammer of Oregon State gave a presentation on IBU research they did. He found that tannins from grain and hop plant matter played important roles in both bitterness perception and measured IBUs. It turns out that up to 30% of measured IBUs comes from the plant matter, not the alpha acids. He showed that unhopped beer can have up to 4 IBUs just from grain tannin. Most importantly, he showed that CoHumulone is the fastest and most complete of the acids to isomerize. It also breaks down in normal boils and in packaged beer.

So, IMO, there is some creative interpretation about achieving isomerization, which is good. If it makes your beer taste better, by all means do it! Yet, as a real measurement, the research is incomplete. One thing is for certain, there isn't a formula to calculate it with.

Great reply, thank you.  Further proof that as soon as one learns something there is far more to learn.  It reminds me of playing chess on three levels - so many variables to deal with!  I guess this should be under the heading of 'Too many experiments to do, so little time.'

I also have to add...  Your comment on mash pH contributing to viscosity also has my mind working.  One MORE factor in viscosity:

1. beta glucans in the malt
2. yeast strain
3. mash temperature
4. OG
5. unfermentable dextrins (i.e. caramel malts)
6. protein level of malt
7. mash pH

SO many variables / so many ways to accomplish something.  So interesting.  Thanks again.

"variables,variables, so many variables". is my personal message in my profile. I knew I was right.
I used to think that I was getting bad hops sometimes, now after reading this I'm thinking it was ph all along. a lot of my mashes have been on the low side of Ph, mostly with the pilsner malt. 

Back