• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Grain Properties in BeerSmith

BrewerJoe

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow brewers,

I have a question on the grain properties within BeerSmith. I have looked all over the place on here and google searched it as well. My question is, how accurate is the grain properties within BeerSmith? Also I am showing 2 or 3 of the same grain for some in the list but with different properties. I cant help to be so picky but I want to make sure that I have to correct information what is being listed.

Thank you for your help!

To the best of my knowledge, the grains listed in BeerSmith represent commercial suppliers specifications for either a particular lot or a target specification.  Multiple entries may represent grains from different maltsters.  While they are relatively close in most cases, I would not count on them to be 100% accurate for any one item.

I always get the latest tag information from my LHBS for the grains that I buy and update them.  Being an agricultural product, the information changes from lot to lot and from year to year, not to mention supplier to supplier.

As far as I know, the malt specs for most of them represent the target specs found on the maltster's website. They are certainly accurate enough for most people using BeerSmith, since the specs are virtually complaint free.

Back