• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water ingredients - Listing vs. Brew Steps

statsmats

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi All...trying to understand how the water ingredients are listed. If a "Target" profile is desired and to create this profile I need maybe three things 1) A base profile (tap water), 2) salts, and 3) distilled water. and I save this "Target" as a new water profile.

When I pull the "Target" profile water into the recipe and then view the brew steps I was expecting to see the ingredients as my tap water (base), listing of salts and distilled water. Instead, I see the "Target" water listed and the salts listed...no mention of the tap water or distilled. I haven't figured out how to construct the water appropriately to get the correct ingredients listed on the brew steps sheet...hmmm.

How are others using this feature?

Thanks in advance!

The water tool and profiles in BeerSmith are incomplete and in need of updates.

You're correct that the distilled or RO water dilution doesn't show on the recipe, nor does it show in a water profile. You can only enter dilutions as a note and see it when you double click the ingredient.

Another issue is that minerals are all assumed to be added to the mash or full volume of water. There isn't a way to separate additions for adding to the boil. BeerSmith doesn't calculate potential mash pH, at all.

If you change your mind about the water profile, new minerals are left as they were from the first choice, not substituted. You must delete all water minerals and add a new profile to update the additions.

Essentially, minerals shouldn't be in the base recipe. They should be added to the brewday log version at brew time, once everything else is final.

BeerSmith is a solid and robust program, but this area is far behind modern brewer needs.

Back