• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Which BJCP style should I enter my beer?

NicoleJS

Apprentice
Reaction score
Recently made a Vienna lager. It was intentionally hoppier than a Negra Modello. Going for more of a Brooklyn Lager. Beersmith says the IBUs were within the style guidelines. My pallet says that it's too hoppy for the style. I ended up with less beer than I should have so maybe the actual IBUs are more than the recipe called for. Any suggestions for entering into competition? Stick with Vienna Lager? Go for a Specialty Beer?
side to side ringtone and starboy ringtone or Black Beatles ringtone

It is hard to say without tasting it.  Once I've designed and brewed a beer, the estimated IBU and color are really meaningless to me.  It all comes down to taste, aroma, appearance, etc. to decide what I've really ended up with.  Sometimes, what I end up with really does not fit into a category and I just have to drink it all my self  ;D.

I think you should listen to music while drinking beer. To do that, you can search for the phrase ringtones ringchill and go there to download the music you want.

To determine the right Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) style for your beer, it is important to consider the characteristics and attributes of your specific beer. BJCP provides a comprehensive style guide that classifies beer into different styles, each with its own characteristics, ingredients and brewing techniques.
Analyze your beer:
Carefully evaluate the flavor, aroma, appearance, mouthfeel and overall impression of your beer. Take note of key characteristics such as malt character, hop character, yeast esters, alcohol content and any unique flavors or aromas.

Compare with BJCP guidelines:
Consult the BJCP Style Guidelines (latest edition) and read descriptions of different beer styles. Compare the properties of your beer with those described in the instructions to determine the best match.

Let's look at the main features:
Focus on the beer's key characteristics, such as color, alcohol content, hop bitterness, malt sweetness, and any special flavors or ingredients. Combine these characteristics with appropriate style descriptions.

Narrow down your options:
Based on your analysis and comparison to the guidelines, narrow down the potential styles that best suit your beer's characteristics.

Back