• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

help and advice on my first brew

tdibratt

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi folks i recently made my first beer.  Opted for a Dirty Blonde Ale.  The XML is attached.  Hopefully all the estimated SGs and actual SGs come through.

My setup is a 15 gallon kettle with a recirculation pump and stainless basket for the grains.  I have an electric element and controller attached.

I used a refractometer for my readings.  Its a new device and I calibrated it.  I also calibrated by PT100 Temp Probe against my thermopen which I calibrated to 0 deg.

I milled my own grains and did so twice.

I did not test pH but something I intend to do next time.

My reading after the 60 minutes was 1.040 where BS est was 1.037.  I added some water at this stage and brought it down to 1.038 and 8.6 Gallons.

After the boil I was at 1.053 and 6.5 Gal so I added some water to bring it up to 7 gals and 1.051.  Boiled a little longer.

I then chilled using my immersion chiller.

Put 5.5 Gals into my bucket fermenter and added my yeast slurry which I had revitalized in some room temp sterlized water.

2.5 weeks later I had 1.011, I racked it into my keg and put my CO2 on at 10-12 PSI.

The beer is very cloud.  I posted another thread and folks say it could take 2 to 3 weeks to clarify.  Given this recipe, will it ever get really clear given some wheat grain?

Looking for guidance on my brew and what I should be looking to change to better hit the marks.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thx

Attachments

• Tony's Dirty Blonde.bsmx
    25.6 KB · Views: 377
Back