• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is it normal for wine to still be vigorously fermenting after 2 weeks?

Ck27

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am working on a batch of wine, specificially made out of Merlot Concentrate and its been bubbling vigorously for 2 weeks and I can still see a sort of wine krausen and it feels like 2 weeks is a extremely long period of time for a fermentation to go on. Is this normal

I used RC212 and BM4x4 yeast strains, 1 full package of each into a 4 gallon batch more as a experiment to see what would happen.

Needless to say im surprised as everyone who I talked to about making wine before trying said that it should be done with primary in about 5-10 days then move it over to secondary.

Vigorous fermentation at 2 weeks is unusual.

Is it open fermentation or under airlock? If it's an airlock, then you're still in good shape. If it's open, I'd suggest transferring to a carboy. It might be a good idea to rack it, anyway.

brewfun said:
Vigorous fermentation at 2 weeks is unusual.

Is it open fermentation or under airlock? If it's an airlock, then you're still in good shape. If it's open, I'd suggest transferring to a carboy. It might be a good idea to rack it, anyway.

It's a sealed fermenter with Star San in the airlock. It's still going today about 1 bubble per every 3 seconds. So it's still rocking and rolling and I can see wine krausen when I look at the side of the fermenter.

Should I move it to another fermenter or let it go. I was thinking to bottle it today. The concentrate was sulfited and I did use campden to kill any wild yeast so I know it's clean and it's not a infection.

I wouldn't bottle wine that's still giving off gas. I'd rack it and degass it, then let it sit for at least another month. Wine takes time and patience is rewarded.

brewfun said:
I wouldn't bottle wine that's still giving off gas. I'd rack it and degass it, then let it sit for at least another month. Wine takes time and patience is rewarded.

Sounds good, its my first batch of wine so ill just leave it going. :).

Im hoping that it turns out good in the end. I think it probably will, I did take a sample out and gravity was 1.010.

I've had some wine fermentations take more than 2 weeks - just be patient and give it time.  I let many of mine sit for months before I bottle them.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
I've had some wine fermentations take more than 2 weeks - just be patient and give it time.  I let many of mine sit for months before I bottle them.

Brad

this is a cheap concentrate kit so yeah, I will give it time. I added some more nutrients to it to help the yeast out a bit and see if that jumpstarts it a bit.

Back