• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Acid addition confusion

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
On the Mash profile tab, the Measured Mash ph is 5.87 and the target ph is 5.2.

Selecting Phosphoric (10%) as the acid to use....

The Mash Acuid amount on the right lower pane shows 169.4 ml to add.
Using the Add Acit action the amount computed is 26.35 ml to add.  That value carries over to the Design tab.

The question relates to the two different values -- 169.4ml versus 26.35.

Which to use?
What is the difference as shown?

When you use the "add acid," the program uses the default addition for that ingredient if you just hit enter after selecting the chosen acid  When adding the acid and clicking on "add acid", the ingredient box pops up so you can adjust the amount of acid to the recommended value (or any other value) that the program suggests.

Let me clarify your answer. 

I think that you said that I should manually transcribe the Mash Acid Amount (on the right lower pane) and enter it as the amount in the "Amount" entry data field after I select the acid type in the "Add Acid" pop up window.

Is that correct?

This seems to be an area that could use improvement.  Most folks expect the program to compute stuff automatically  -- i.e. an assistant type approach that removes the complexity and interaction of the various variables. 

Having to manually transcribe the data with no hint, in the program or in the help menu, seems like it is counter intuitive. 

I do not know how the 'default' acid amount is determined but adding that arbitrary amount leads the user to think the program has done the proper ingredient add.

My suggestion is a check box someplace for the ingredient addition without manual transcription. 

Back