• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

temperature to set chest freezer at as a fermenter

tpw

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a question about using a chest freezer as a fermenter for a recipe for a Dunkel, where I start fermentation at 52 degrees, drop to 32, then lager at 35 degrees. I have an inkbird temperature controller and would like to know what temperature I should set the freezer at to accommodate this fermentation?

Tape the temperature probe to the fermenter at mid point and with some bubble wrap or other insulation over it. Set to your desired fermentation temperature. When you're ready to change the temperature for the diacetyl rest, remove the probe from the side of the fermenter, suspend it so it reads the air temperature in the freezer. Do the remaining temperature changes with the probe suspended.

Doesn't matter. A freezer is designed to freeze, therefore your control will be reliant on the inkbird.

I'll suggest throwing a fan inside the freezer to keep the temperature more consistent top to bottom, otherwise you may end up with temps too low on bottom and too warm on top.

EDIT: Yep, what he said about the inkbird temp locations. thats super helpful as well. I actually keep mine after initial fermentation in a pint glass of water, ymmv.

Back