• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

[SECONDARY] Witbier

Grummore

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hi there!

The shop decided to freely give me back everything I took to do the strange Witbier I did because of his error.

Here is the text from BS3:

Code:
Style: Witbier
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 25.36 L
Post Boil Volume: 23.96 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 21.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
0.30 kg          Oats, Flaked [Steep] (1.0 SRM)                   Grain         1          7.0 %         0.20 L        
0.30 kg          Wheat, Flaked [Steep] (1.6 SRM)                  Grain         2          7.0 %         0.20 L        
0.20 kg          DME Golden Light (Briess) [Boil] (4.0 SRM)       Dry Extract   3          4.7 %         0.13 L        
2.00 kg          LME Wheat Bavarian (Briess) [Boil] (4.0 SRM)     Extract       4          46.5 %        1.39 L        
1.50 kg          LME Golden Light (Briess) [Boil] (4.0 SRM)       Extract       5          34.9 %        1.04 L        
20.00 g          East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 mi Hop           6          11.1 IBUs     -             
10.00 g          Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 15.0 min                    Hop           7          2.1 IBUs      -             
15.00 g          Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 mins)              Spice         8          -             -             
4.00 g           Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)                   Spice         9          -             -             
1.0 pkg          Safbrew Wheat (DCL/Fermentis #WB-06) [50.28 ml]  Yeast         10         -             -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4.30 kg

Ended up with 22L in the primary with OG 1070 instead of the 1052 supposed by the program. Added water to 23L and got to 1066.

Shouldn't I need a second yeast pack? I'm far over 1050.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

There's a "yeast starter" tab when you formulate the recipe that will tell you how much yeast to use.

Also, if you attach the .bsmx file it's far easier for anyone to inspect as it will have all of the profiles and such associated with the recipe.

I changed one of my beers to dry yeast to show you an example. you'll see the "starter" tab, and depending on the yeast and manufacture date it will tell you how many packets are "best"

Attachments

• yeast.JPG
    yeast.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 702
Here you go!

Would it be better to get another WS-06 and put it in 10 hours (will have received it by this time)?
Would it be ok to add it if the fermentation is already ongoing?

Would it be better to add half a pack another type of yeast (because I have spare US-05) in 5 hours (after work) instead?

Attachments

• grummore_witbier.bsmx
    26 KB · Views: 351
as you'll see clicking on the "starter" tab it recommends 1.6 packs (11.5g packs) of yeast. Therefore 2 packs considering the additional gravity points wouldn't hurt.. one won't likely hurt much either.

is it going to be a problem? no.

it would appear that your equipment profile is likely a bit off, hence the potential errors in your volumes and gravity.

Grummore said:
Here you go!

Would it be better to get another WS-06 and put it in 10 hours (will have received it by this time)?
Would it be ok to add it if the fermentation is already ongoing?

Would it be better to add half a pack another type of yeast (because I have spare US-05) in 5 hours (after work) instead?

so, 1: I personally wouldn't worry about it
2: yes it would be ok, many folks actually add yeast after fermentation has started. (again, i wouldn't worry about it though)
3: nothing is "better" or "worse" s05 would change the profile of the beer though.

Thank you!

Manage to get the same yeast and put 100% of it yesterday in the pot.

Will see.

Hello gentlemen,

I have tasted it and made it taste by several other peoples.

It's very acid and doesn't taste orange/coriander, but there are bubbles.

THoughts on what happened?

Looking at your recipe, you have flaked wheat and oats with no diastatic malts (base malts) in your recipe to convert the starches from these ingredients into fermentable sugars.  Without converting them, the starches do not serve as food for the yeast, but will serve as food for other bacteria which may normally be outperformed by the yeast and not left with anything to consume.  Both of these ingredients need to be mashed in order to realize their potential as fermentable sugars.  The output of the bacteria would also explain the increase in acidity you are picking up.

Back