• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anyone know why I am getting "another copy may be running" mesage?

ThatBeerGuy

Apprentice
Reaction score
As background.

I just purchased a 1 year license to Beersmith3 the end of June and I used one of the licenses to activate computer 1. Last week, I successfully activated the 2nd available license on computer 2.

As soon as this was done, I started receiving this message, warning me that another copy may be running. Since I had 2 licenses, I didn;t pay it much attention, thinking this 2nd license just needed to be authorized, or something. Well, I just opened up Beersmith tonight and not only did I get the message again but, at least 25 of my newly inputted (local) recipes have now vanished. Much time was spent creating them and I'd like to retrieve them if I can.

Am I not allowed to run this 2nd license?

What you are encountering is not an issue with having two licenses (which I will address later) but due to an unexpected shutdown of BeerSmith.  When the program is closed, there are a number of archival operations which happen behind the scenes so to speak.  If you have BeerSmith open when, for instance, Microsoft decides that it is a good time to update your software, the program will close and Microsoft will start its updates without allowing the archival function to run.  This leaves a flag in the system which then thinks that some element of BeerSmith is still operating and gives you the error when you try to start BeerSmith. 

The other result of this is that the recipe and profile libraries are interrupted in the archival function and the some of the recipes can get lost.  You can recover this lost information as Brad describes in his blog post which can be found at http://beersmith.com/blog/2018/09/14/how-to-back-up-and-recover-data-in-beersmith-3/

This issue has led me to change my behavior with regard to leaving my cope of BeerSmith open on my computer.  Where I used to keep it running to be able to access it frequently throughout the day, I now shut it down when I am not planning on using it for a while.

As for the licensing, if you check on the BeerSmith FAQ page, I think you will find that a single license allows users to download the software onto up to two computers or devices. 

Thanks for the response.

I guess it was just coincidence that the issue manifested after activation of 2nd license.

I attempted to restore via bulk backup but, to no avail. The recipe archive that highlights major changes appears to be available to me to utilize.  That seems to be a manual process which I'll attempt when time becomes available. 

In any event, this is disappointing to have to experience. I don't recall my brewing partner having this issue with Beersmith2 all the time he made recipes for us. Is this an issue specific to only Beersmith 3?

I am having this problem but it is at the extent of I cant even get the program to open now. I uninstalled and reinstalled still wont open it tries to open with the loading box in middle of screen but it disappears and nothing happens.
For fun i downlaoded Beersmith 2 and it works fine.

I have only used the program on my laptop nothing else has accessed the account or program under the liscense. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Josh

FWIW, I removed the 2nd instance of the copy, thinking it might be the issue, and since no help was forthcoming from support, but to no avail. 

I have asked Brad if a fix is forthcoming but, no answer.

Hi guys, just for your interest I have been in contact with Brad and he has no idea for a solution so if any of you have found a fix can you please let me know. There is plenty of advice on how to avoid it happening but the dicks don't know how to fix it.
I am about to demand a refund and maybe go back to Beersmith 2 (free) or try Brewfather.

Back