• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Final Gravity Estimate very high in BeerSmith

brewbrain

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Been using BS for years, and now sketching out a imperial stout recipe. Rarely run into problems with BS. On this recipe, the ABV seems to be maxing out at 10% and the final gravity stays at 1.049, even when I tried adding several more pounds of sugar as an experiment.  I don't think there is an excessive amount of crystal or caramel malt in this recipe for the style, so I'm trying to  figure out why the FG estimate is so high.  Is it somehow assuming that the yeast is going to poop out at 10% ABV?  I think the Nottingham can go significantly higher.  Maybe there's some setting that limits extreme gravity beers?  Or maybe I'm the one with the glitch today?    Thanks!

With the release of BS3, Brad instituted a user requested feature to limit the ABV to the maximum published value for the yeast strain being used.  The change is documented in the initial release notes for BeerSmith 3 on Brad's blog.  You can unblock this by editing the yeast entry and changing the maximum ABV tolerance for the yeast.  It does mean that it is wise to double check the yeast manufacturer specifications versus what is presently in BeerSmith, as most of the yeast providers update the specifications on a regular basis.

Oginme said:
With the release of BS3, Brad instituted a user requested feature to limit the ABV to the maximum published value for the yeast strain being used.  The change is documented in the initial release notes for BeerSmith 3 on Brad's blog.  You can unblock this by editing the yeast entry and changing the maximum ABV tolerance for the yeast.  It does mean that it is wise to double check the yeast manufacturer specifications versus what is presently in BeerSmith, as most of the yeast providers update the specifications on a regular basis.

Interesting, thanks,  I see that now.  Their data sheet says it's 14%.  Does anyone think Nottingham (2 packs/5 gal) will have a problem fermenting an 11-12 % beer ?

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/docs/products/tds/TDS_LALBREW_PREM_NOTTINGHAM_ENGLISH_DIGITAL.pdf

I think this default limit should have been remove a long time ago.  This one has annoyed many Beersmith users. I think it was a mistake to force a max.  Personally, I have had US05 strains ferment over 10% 15% with no off flavor issue. 

Sorry, no experience with Nottingham.

jomebrew said:
I think this default limit should have been remove a long time ago.  This one has annoyed many Beersmith users. I think it was a mistake to force a max.  Personally, I have had US05 strains ferment over 10% 15% with no off flavor issue. 

Sorry, no experience with Nottingham.

Or at least give some alert to the user that the calculation is limited by the yeast properties.  This would eliminate some of the questions and aggravation by allowing the users to understand the issue and make changes as they deem fit. 

Most yeasts will ferment to above the published maximum to a greater or lesser extent.  The yeast companies are pretty conservative on this metric as, in the end, they have little control over the actual usage conditions.

Back