• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Design Grain lb vs Mash Grain Wt

KB

Master Brewer
Reaction score
In the Design tab I have Total Grains 18.14 lb. In the Mash tab I have Mash Grain Wt 17.96 lb.

Initially I thought I made a mistake as it wasn't obvious the difference was due to 0.18 mash out of Blackprinz malt.

Anyway to make the Mash tab Mash Grain Wt more obvious with something similar to "Mash Grain Wt - Steep Grain"?

IMO, would be very helpful to know/realize the difference.

Mash pH and adjustments are calculated from the mash tab. If the Black Prinz was included in the calculation and not physically in the mash, the pH prediction, and thus any adjustment, would be incorrect.

You can click the "Select Fields" button on the design tab, just under the ingredient area, and select "Tot Grains" from the list. This will add the total grain weight to the list of displayed parameters on the design tab and you'll have no need to go to the mash tab for anything except pH adjustments.

Your mash out step is taking place after the actual mash process is complete. The grain you add to the mash out step you are doing isn't part of the mash step which is why it is not included. As for building in a flag of some kind to help you realize the difference... you kinda figured that out yourself already so the next time you add a mash out/steep step you will know.

Back