• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Using corn in a mash

U

Uncle-Bert

Hello Bert here

I was wondering if anyone in this forum has used crushed corn in there all grain recipes and if so how does it affect the potential alcohol of a basic wort after the boil. The reason I am asking is that I want to try and use whole kernel corn instead of using just corn sugar. has anyone used it in a single infusion mash etc.. and I'm talking about ground corn not flake corn.

Uncle Bert ;)   

yoooo, uncle hows' it? my reply may not be what you arre looking for. I  am gathering information on how to make corn beer. it is cheep. Can regular whole kernal corn be cracked than water added along with yewst? dose the corn need to be heated and cooked (mashed), before the sugar in the corn kernals can be worked by the yeast? I know cron BREW has been around for A LONG TIME. SOME OF THE poplar beers on the market use corn. which results in a cheep lite marketable product.    Also any one with information about "kole hau", ( it is a hawaiian drink poplar around the mid to early 1900's. It is brewed with a hawaiian root, which is quit sweet & starchey. this root is also used as a food sourse. it is cooked and chewed usely after dinner, for deseart. Other ingreetance are also added, awa. Awa is a poplar drink throught out greater polanisa. It produces a feeloing of well being, and makes conversastion come easy. some locals drink the awa  along with beer,thats kinda hevey. SO ANY BODY WITH ANY INFO. about corn brew share your knowlage

Im interessted too. And even rice. If brewing sommer beer, itsa way to keep the maltiness lower.

I've used corn grits with sucess making CAPs. If you use instant grits you can add directly to your mash. I normally will cooked it in the microwave then add to the mash. One can use Cornmeal or polenta too, just cook it before adding to the mash so it can convert.

Here is an ale recipe I came up with called Golden Quitty. I brew this every month. Very good 

Attachments

• Golden Quitty.bsm
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,308
I know cornmeal and polent. Its what the glute intolerace people use instead of weat and stuff?

But what is corn grits? I know its meal too, but what is it? I am swedish, and maybe we dont have it here......

In order for most non barley grains to be converted to sugars in the mash they must be cooked first.The starches need to be pre gelitanized in order for the enzymes to work on them.Instant,or quick oats,flaked oats or corn,etc. can be added directly to the mash.Here's a link to John Palmer's view on this subject... very informative . 

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-2.html

Back