• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Some pointers for the new version

cavanzo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Brad,

I am a BS heavy user (2-3 weekly brew sessions) After trying all of the brewing software in the market, I believe BS is the best. I have some pointers that may help you make it even better on the next version.

• The Calendar could have alarm to remind you some things such as: End of first fermentation, end of second fermentation, bottling day etc..
  • Brewday Timer with several alarms and chronometers could be really usefull
  • Automatic Hop aging Ex: I bought a pound of saaz 4% AA with 50% HSI 3 months later it's AA contents would be of 3%. It would be great if beersmith could make this calculations for you and adjust to each individual hop so you don't have to calculate the AA of each hop on the brewing session.
  • Some adjuncts such as maltodextrin have serious effects on the SG, FG, and color(Cherry extract), . currently Beersmith doesn’t  reflect this.
  • It would be great to know the amount of yeast cells you’d need for a certain batch and a type of propagation calculator. Ex. I bought a sachet of yeast containing XXX Cells for a batch of 15Gal. I would need 3 times more. If beersmith told me the amount of steps (50ml test tube – 500ml Erlenmeyer-3Lt Erlenmeyer) I would need to propagate in order to reach the amount of cells I need it would be awesome.  You can call it a propagation calculator.
  • The ingredients used in recipes doesn't affect the inventory, making it hard for you to know when it's time buy more of a certain ingredient…  beersmith could also tell you when you're running low on a specific ingredient.
  • I believe the water profiler is a great tool, but I find it hard to use, The profiler should make suggestions of minerals you could add to achieve a certain city profile.
  • There should be a way of backing up all of the information in beersmith, Not item by item. I had to reinstall windows once and lost my equipment profiles(I have a custom made 15 Gal. HERMS system) and all of my hops (hopunion datasheets) and malts profiles, which aren't in beersmith since they come from Chile(maltexco). It took me about 2 months to get it all running properly again
  • As I suggested you before there could be a krausening calculator including more methods of carbonation such as LME, and plain sugar.
    If beersmith could have the possibility to control solenoid valves, temp controllers and pumps in an automated system such as HERMS it would be unbeatable.

By the way if you need beta testers for the next version, I would be glad to give you extensive information.

Have a nice day,

Nick

+1 also.

I could certainly use a larger ingredients list viewing area (in recipe view) too.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll print them out and keep them handy...

Brad

Back