• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pump Problems

Mrpivo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I'm just getting back into brewing after a 4 year hiatus. I have a half barrel RHEMS brewing system which worked beautifully when I last used it 4 years ago. Seeing that this was my first batch in a while, I decided to keep it simple and do an extract with specialty grain English Brown Ale. My plan was to use my counterflow chiller, so prior to brewing I tried it out and I couldn't get the pump to work. FYI, it's a March magnetic clutch. I'm not sure of the model number (I'm at work right now) but I must have purchased it around 6-7 years ago. I know it has to be primed so I had my water bucket elevated to get the flow going.

Any ideas? Does it need a new impeller?

Thanks, MrPivo

I guess that I should have said that the motor runs (and by the way it did need oil. It was squeeling like crazy) but the pump isn't pumping.

I'll take a look at the thread on the BN.

Thanks

As far as cavitation.....it is possible. I probably should check all of my hoses ans fittings.

Is this one of their seal-less pumps?
If the pump has seals, I would suspect they would be dried out after 4 years of inactivity.  If it is seal-less, maybe there was some residue in the pump from last use, and the impeller just needs to be broke loose.

Take the head off and soak it in PBW and clean it well. The squealing is usually made when there is not enough liquid in the pump head to lubricate it. Don't run it that way! Really shortens the life. Even if you run your pump regularly, you need to clean the business end. Oil it like this http://www.marchpump.com/site/files/966/112196/382493/524058/Pump_Manual.pdf once a year. By the way, the larger model 815 impeller fits this pump if you want to upgrade to a beast. Just Google Walters suggestions to find it.

tmc32 said:
Is this one of their seal-less pumps?
If the pump has seals, I would suspect they would be dried out after 4 years of inactivity.  If it is seal-less, maybe there was some residue in the pump from last use, and the impeller just needs to be broke loose.
+1 -- there might be dried gunk inside

First off I'd like to thank everyone for their responses to my problem.

After I got home tonight I checked my pump odel number and went on the March website. There I found the general installation instructions. Apparently I was attempting to use it incorrectly. I was trying to lift liquid out of a bucket. A big no-no.

I hooked it up to my hot liquor tank the way that I usually do while brewing and it worked.

Live and learn.

MrPivo

Back