• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Frustration.. how to set up my equipment in BS

stryk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi people!

I bought beer smith 2 directly.. now i am struggling to get my brewing equimpent set up in it
I would be VERY happy and grateful if someone could help me!!

I am currently trying to fill all the variables on a piece of paper..

I am using a belgian Brewferm Electric Pro kettle (isolated with 3 cm isolation all around it) and a brewferm lauter bin (so i mash in my boiling kettle, transfer and lauter then back and boil in boiling kettle)

I am aiming for 20 L batches when bottling (with 0,5 L water and sugar added in the very end) and will boil 25 Liters of wort
I usually have like 2 liters left in the boiling kettle with the hops, I run it through a chiller and top with boiled water..

i start here, lets see if we can get this together

thanks

BS 2 looks very nice.. finnaly table sugar! ;) we dont use corn sugar in sweden. never even seen any here..

/Christian
Stockholm, sweden

Hi there stryk,

Let's see if we can get you under way but first a couple of points that might help you and many others...

The best way to understand any software is to really spend concentrated time on it so you actually can understand how it works. This definitely takes time and a good knowledge of the brewing process. I suggest duplicating and renaming some of the sample recipes and equipment profiles, playing with them as much as you can and then comparing the recipes side by side so as you can see what's occurred. Unless you understand the software, it is impossible to take full advantage of it and you can also make serious errors when converting recipes from other sources.

BeerSmith2 assumes you already know your equipment so it can be hard to set your equipment up initially. You also need to understand that home brewers are brewing beer on a 'nano' level so it is very easy to get measurement discrepancies from brew to brew. What you need to do is several brews, say 5, and take as many measurements as you can during these brews. This will give you an average that you can modify as your experience and number of brews grow.

Your problem though is, "How do I get started?"

You've already given lots of info needed but some of this is unclear...

You mentioned you are aiming for "20 L batches when bottling." Be careful what terminology you use. Batch size in BeerSmith refers to the 'Volume Into Fermenter' not 'Bottling Volume'. Your pot is unlikely to give you 20 L of bottled beer. In fact, I am going to be working on a 19 L 'Batch Size'.

The first thing I am going to do is look for a Sample Equipment Profile that I think will closely match your urn and then I am going to change some figures. The closest equipment I can see is the 'Electric Urn (10 Gal/40L) - BIAB'. The fact it says 'BIAB' does not matter.

So, I'm going to copy and paste that and rename it 'Electric Urn (7 Gal/27L) - All-Grain'

This profile is very cautious, it allows for lots of trub and this is a good thing for beginners. But you have some experience with your kettle so we can reduce some things without risk. Let's have a look...

1. Boil Volume: This exceeds your urn size. We'll sort this below...

2. Boil Length: We can reduce this to 60 minutes though some waters/grain will produce cloudy beer etc on a 60 minute boil. I am going to change this anyway to a compromise of 70 minutes. This gives 10 minutes for your boil to settle before adding bittering hops.

3. Boil Off: Your urn has a smaller diameter than a 40 L urn so its boil off will be less. I'm guessing that the pot height and diameter are equal. A 27 L square-sided pot will have a diameter of about 32.5 cms. I've written the following formula to help predict evaporation rate based on kettle diameter...

Litres per hour = pi x (0.5 x diameter)2 x 0.00428

Using this formula, I am predicting your boil off will be 3.55 L / Hr. We are using a 70 minute boil so 70/60*3.55=4.14 L. This is the figure we will use.

4. Loss to Trub and Chiller: I am changing this to the 2 L you specified.

5. Top Up Water: As your Boil Volume was still too high, I am going to add 'Top Up Water' of 1.5 L. You can add this at the end of your boil instead of into your fermenter as this will help chill the beer and should avoid the need to boil the top up water.

6. Brewhouse Efficiency: This is very hard for a new all-grainer to work out. For example, your 'efficiency into kettle' or 'mash efficiency' will be lower as you will be using top up water so your grain will not be getting 'rinsed' in as much water but you have less 'Loss to Trub and Chiller' than the original profile so this increases your efficiency into fermenter which is BeerSmith2's, 'Brewhouse Efficiency'. I have used a spreadsheet to work out that your Brewhouse Efficiency should be set at about 69%. This can be hard to get your head around  ;).

7. Lauter Tun Deadspace: I am going to make this 0.95L.

This profile should get you under way but it is important to do those 5 brews and not let the measurements from a single one affect your judgement. I know from experience that the above profile will get you in the ballpark which is all that is necessary (and possible) when learning new equipment.

Later, you can adjust the figures but be careful. For example, you can't just reduce 'Loss to Trub and Chiller' without also changing your 'Brewhouse Efficiency.'

I hope the above helps you and a few others out as it is impossible for any of is to write such long posts every time this very good but very hard question comes up ;D.

So there's lots to learn stryk. Best of luck!

I'll keep an eye on this thread so if you have any more questions fire away. I'm not doing anyone else's profile for them though - lol!

Pat

Here is the profile...

Attachments

• Electric Urn (7Gal-27L) All Grain.bsmx
    1.5 KB · Views: 322
I noticed I had missed that you told me your trub was 2 L. So, I've just re-written the above post and corrected the attached equipment profile. Pay special attention to understanding what I did with "Brewhouse Efficiency."

Also there is a post in the FAQ and a video that might help you on setting up equipment.

Brad

Thanks guys for getting me started!

Getting a big cup of coffe..

I really want to understand all the variables

/C

I have been thinking..  ::)

1)

You wrote that i can´t brew a volume "in fermantor" of 20 (or X L)..
Cant I just adjust this shortcoming in pot size with an higher OG?
So.. adjusting the "batch size" in BS but in the end dilute it with water?
Would I in that case "only" adjust base malts or the whole spectrum of malts?

How would i calculate this? Or do I missing something crucial here? Should I just brew smaller batches? ;) This is something i haven't heard on any radio show like brewstrong or read in any book by palmer, strong or any anyone else..

2)

I actually have a 29L pot and i can add 26L with boil (even if this really is action-rewing to say at least), thanks for the evaporation formula.. i adjusted it to 4 L since my pot is 34,5 cm in diameter (if you mean inside, edge to edge), i started a test yesterday but forgot to remove the lid at the end and since my pot is so well isolated it was still at 70C the day after.. well at least i know my isolation rocks..
have to try it again.. is there any difference in wort or water boil off?

I now have 2 profiles:
1 - PALE ALE - 70 Minute boil (prevent overboiling at start and remove some hot break)
2 - PILSNER - 100 Minute boil (DMS killing and prevent overboiling at start)

3)
Sad i cant choose a mash and a separate lauter bin.. my mash tun i SS and my lauter bin is plastic.. and of course they have different shapes and weights..

getting more coffee..

Here's the direct link to setting up your equipment in BeerSmith 2.

http://www.beersmith.com/setting-up-your-equipment-in-beersmith-2/

Hi again stryk  :),

1. As you say, you could increase your batch size more by further increasing "Top Up Water" to say a maximum of 4 L I would say in your case. To do this change the ""Top Up Water" from 1.5 L to 4.0 L and increase the batch size 2.5 L to 21.5 L.

If you do this, the question is, "What should I change my "Brewhouse Efficiency to?" Your grain is being rinsed by less water again so your "mash efficiency" will be less. I am guessing that you'll need to reduce your "Brewhouse Efficiency" by maybe 5% but this is a guess. It should get you close enough.

BeerSmith2 will now increase your grain bill etc for not only the increased batch size but also the reduced efficiency.

2. That's great you were able to use the formula. It's certainly managed to get many people started on a wide range of kettles. You'll find that evaporation rates can vary considerably from brew to brew given atmospheric conditions hence the importance of building up some average figures. From memory wort does evaporate a little differently from water but nothing to worry about. The formula I gave you was derived from collecting a bunch of brewers kettle diameters and measurements.

I'm a bit confused on the taking the lid off bit but I might be misreading this. Always leave your lid off during the boil. If you need to reduce your evaporation volume or increase boil vigour for some reason, float a stainless bowl on top of your wort to reduce the surface area.

3. Your system does sound very hard to use - not even sure how you use it :D. Down the track I'd be looking at adding a HLT so your mash tun can become a MLT if that's possible with what you've got or selling the lot and BIABing in one big pot.

BTW, try and find a way of double-checking your grain bill weight before you mash in so if there is some large efficiency discrepancy on your first brew, you can at least tick that possibility off the list.

Also, if you have already done some brews and have some records, you can check the profile you have made by seeing if it produces the same volume and original gravities you have been getting to date. Having some history up your sleeve is the only real way you can check and become more confident in your profile.

Enjoy your coffee  ;)
Pat

hi, sorry did not see our reply till now :/
regular "cane suger" that is (vanlig) strösocker in swedish.. works perfect and is cheap you dont need any "special" suger
but I use forced carbonation now for most beers.

Back