• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

A Good Kolsch all grain

Kevcor

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello brewers I am new to the board but have been home brewing for years. My brew mate and I have a nice 10 gallon keg converted system. We typically batch sparge, brew ales or hybrids, and keg. We are getting ready to brew a Kolsch so I am making my initial thread a request for a good Kolsch all grain recipe. Any takers?

I am hoping to have a means to cold ferment in the near future and will then begin the adventure into lagering. I look forward to expanding our capabilities.

Home brew is happy food

Kevcor

for a  5.5 gallon batch I do a simple recipe like
9lbs 2 row
1lb Munich II
23 IBU of German Noble hops (Tettnang or Hersbrucker work great)
White Labs Kölsch yeast WLP029

single infusion mash at 149-152 for 90 minutes, 60 minute boil, ferment at 65F.

This has turned out absolutely cracking!!

I kept to the style parameters for this one as far as i could by not using munich or crystal and it has turned out great. If you had never heard of kolsch you would think it was a lager. It is clean tasting and very crisp and dry with a pale straw colour (3.8 SRM). The Spalt is a nice mild hop, a slight lemoniness with that characteristic lager flavour.

5G Batch
4000g Weyermans Pilsner malt
200g Pale Malt (originally just to bring up the OG a bit but I think it has added something flavour wise)
200g carapils/dextrine
47g Spalt (4%AA) (First Wort, sparge straight onto the pellets)
4g Spalt 15mins
1 whirlfloc tab 15mins
Wyeast German Ale (1 Litre starter)

Boil; 90mins

OG 1.050
FG  1.008
Alc Vol 5.5%

I mashed for 60mins with a mash start temp of 63.5C and ended at 62.5C
I kept the fermentation between 16C and 17C. the yeast really kicked up a head in there.
At the low temp it fermented out in 5 to 6 days.
From pitching to kegging it was on the yeast for 11 days.
I pressurised the keg and left in the fridge at about 6C for three weeks before carbonating and drinking (Carbonated at 114KPA for a few days).
The yeast stays in suspension and for a while i did not think it was going to clear but soon after carbonating it was as clear as glass and still is. I like this yeast a lot.

When I brew this one again I will reduce the strength to about 4.8% and perhaps add a little wheat for a little more body.I used Sydney, Australia water but next batch i'll treat for Cologne water. Although i like the yeast i would definitely use Wyeast 2565 Kolsch. The wineyness develops very nicely. I would also reduce the IBU's a little but the First Wort hopping has worked surprisingly well for the Kolsch style. My wife even likes this one and that's saying something!

This looks like a great recipe.  I am fairly new to the site so maybe this is somewhere else, but is this recipe available on this site in a BeerSmith format?

Cheers,
Doug

Not sure if you brewed it yet, but I've brewed this serveral times. I poured it side by side to Reissdorf and it was pretty spot on.  Hope you like it.

MCB

Fear No Beer

Attachments

• bsxtmp_10693.htm
    7 KB · Views: 1,307
Here is one I copied from homebrewtalk.com and entered into beersmith. I have brewed this recipe and it turned out well. I plan on brewing it again as 15 gallons.

Attachments

• kolschamerican.bsmx
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,135
Here is my latest Kolsch. This was my first brew in a bag (BIAB) effort, and I may well be a convert.

7 Lbs Kolsch Malt (source Northern Brewer)
8 oz flaked oats
4 oz Carapils
8 oz DME
1 oz Tradition boil 75 minutes
.5 oz Saaz boil 30 minutes
.5 oz Saaz boil 10 minutes
Wyeast #2565 1 pint, washed - harvested from primary from previous batch

OG 1.047
FG 1.010

Fermented (and conditioned) for 4 weeks at 55*F
Bottle conditioned to 2.4 volumes (I think it is a tad lower).
Surprisingly clear.
VERY tasty

Attachments

• Fox Hunter Kolsch #2.bsmx
    18.1 KB · Views: 482
Back