Author Topic: Tips on Brewing a Very Dark IPA with little roastiness  (Read 6011 times)

Offline Tchamberlin

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Tips on Brewing a Very Dark IPA with little roastiness
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:21:25 AM »
I have tasted several dark IPAs ( Otter creek Apline, Clowshoes HoppyFeat, ect) and I still think those beers are too roasty- sort of a hoppy stout. I want to brew a borderline hop bomb( with wet Citra) that is only midly roasty. Any thoughts?  I am thinking that Carafa II would be the best specialty grain but I am open to ANY suggestion.

Thanks All ;D

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
Re: Tips on Brewing a Very Dark IPA with little roastiness
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:26:37 AM »
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-ingredients/grain-malts/toasted-roasted-malts/weyermann-dehusked-carafa-ii.html

For this use, you'd want the dehusked version.  It's tumbled to remove a lot of the husk. 

Offline Tchamberlin

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:37:14 AM »
Maltlicker( nice name)- what percentage of the grain bill would you recommend for this? I would am brewing a 5 gall extract brew.  Thanks,

Offline OPJohn

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:05:11 AM »
See if you can find carmelized beet sugar syrup. Williams brewing is putting out a kit that uses it for a Belgian Strong Dark with dark coloration and no roasted malt. A cursory google search for it found several jars available for sale from vendors like amazon.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:08:15 AM by OPJohn »

Offline klw

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 09:39:52 AM »
Definitely go with the Carafa II. In a 5 gal. extract brew, I used about a pound and that worked really well for me. In addition, I used Belgian Specialty coffee grain to get a little bit more roast flavor as well. Of course, you just have to make sure that you use plenty of hops to equal/ offset the malt. My total IBU was 88.

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:08:47 PM »
Maltlicker( nice name)- what percentage of the grain bill would you recommend for this? I would am brewing a 5 gall extract brew.  Thanks,

I'd use BeerSmith to figure out the SRM for me.  Depends on the other grains used obviously and your target darkness. 

Style-wise, it's a black IPA and not a roasty IPA, but your preferences will drive the flavor to your liking.   Let us know how it went.