• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

DOUBLE TROUBLE

benzy4010

Apprentice
Reaction score
anyone ever brew a beer called Double Trouble by shoultz meyer. im new to brewing and just got this software but not sure how to use it yet. i also just got done brewing my first batch just went for it but think i made a few mistakes.

this is all the information that i have on the recipe, with this information can i plug this into brewsmith and figure the rest out???

Belgian Pilsner 9.8lbs
Weyemann Munich type II 1.4 lbs
amber candi sugar 1.0 lbs
Caramel Vienne 0.4 ozs
Caramel Munich 0.4 ozs
aroma 0.4 ozs
special B 0.2 ozs
Hallertau 2 ozs @ 60 mins
white labs abbey ale 1 tube

mash at 148 for 90 minutes . Boil for 90 minutes. add candi sugar with 20 minutes left in boil. Germent at 65-74 degrees.

This is all i know. I have the ingredients however i dont know how much water to mash with or sparge with

I found a extract with specialty grain recipe:

Double Trouble Belgian Dubbel

Malt Extract:
Pale 6 lbs.
Munich .3 lbs.
Brown Sugar 0.25 lb. (Optional)

Grain Bill:
Caravienne Malt 4 oz
English Crystal 37 2 oz
Special B 6 oz
Biscuit Malt 4 oz

Hopping Schedule:
#1 Styrian Goldings (4.0%) 1.6 oz 60 min
#2 Saaz .3 oz 0 min
Starting Gravity:
Fermentation Temp:
65-75 degrees F
Yeast:
Wyeast 1214 Abbey Ale or WhiteLabs WLP 530 or Wyeast 3787 Trappist Ale High Gravity

Description:

A rich, malty beer like those brewed by the Trappist Monks of Belgium. In the style called Dubbel, it is liquid bread that will provide sustenance for both body and soul.

Directions:

In a small pot bring 3 or 4 quarts of water to around 150 degrees (bubbles start to form on the bottom.)
    Remove from the heat and stir in the specialty grains, cover and steep for 20-30 minutes.
    Meanwhile, fill the large brew pot half full with water and apply heat.
    When bubbles start to rise from the large pot, turn off the heat and stir in the extract.
    After the grains have steeped for 20-30 minutes, pour them through a strainer into the large brew pot.
    Add some hot water to the small pot and rinse the grains in the strainer.
    Bring what is now called ‘wort’ to a full, roiling boil. Watch for boilovers!
    Once the foaming stops, add the contents of the first hop package.
    Sanitize your fermenter, strainer, airlock & stopper.
    Maintain the boil for one hour, adding hops as per recipe.
    When the boil is done, cool the pot in a sink until sides are cool to the touch.
    Pour the wort into your sanitized fermenter, add pre-chilled water to bring it up to 5 gallons at about 75 degrees and pitch the yeast.
    Ferment in the temperature range recommended above.

Back