• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Diastatic Power?

1971hemicuda

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with a lot of beers that use non base malts.  Recipes heavy in unmalted wheat, corn, or other adjuncts.  I calculate my diastatic power manually, but it would be great if BeerSmith could do this for me.  Not sure how many other people want to deal with a sticky mash because they are idiots who brew with 80% unmalted wheat or 60% unmalted rye...but it should would be nice!

Thanks

Jason

+1

I often find myself opening up calculator or working this stuff out in my head when the values are already in the software.  Throw a simple formula in there behind the scenes, add a field called "Est Diastatic Power", give an "OK" blue dot for everything 35 Lintner and above, a yellow dot between 30 and 35, and a red dot below 30.

I agree this would be nice.  The numbers are all there so it should not be too difficult to calculate.  I can almost do it in my head...I can usually get close anyway but if were right there on the recipe page it would be a great addition.

Back