Author Topic: Beer profile observations  (Read 2839 times)

Offline dchijarhead

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Beer profile observations
« on: January 07, 2013, 10:47:03 AM »
This is not a question, just looking for the logic if you have input I would love to hear it.  I often download in BeerSmith recipes of beers that have won awards or others think are great beers.  Even before I make adjustment for my equipment and batch size, not all the time, but often the numbers for the selected profile are off the charts, color, % alc, bitterness or you name it.  More or less, BeerSmith does not agree with the selected recipe for that profile.

BeerSmith is great for making adjustments for a given style and I do it all the time.  I make adjustment for recipes based on what assets I have on hand too.  I always try to stay within the numbers for a given style.  Granted I’ve never been to, or expect to win, a beer competition.  So how is it, if the profile numbers are so far off, that the recipe still wins or gets raving reviews?   Not really a question rather just an observation.  I say more power to you as long as it’s good beer. 

I stepped into brewing with both feet two years ago, All Grain, BeerSmith Program, books and equipment all at once.  No regrets and it has been a learning experience ever since.  This is even my first time on a forum.  Cheers and any thoughts?

Offline Rusty Nails

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Beer profile observations
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:28:05 PM »
BeerSmith uses BJCP guidelines by default. There is also the Brewer's Assoc. guidelines used by a lot of commercial brewers, and the GABF. Many countries have their own guidelines. And some people, like myself, make up our own guidelines.
Why conform?

Ed

Offline dchijarhead

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 01:16:01 PM »
Well that does answer the question. Thanks.  I conform only because I'm a new bee.  Thanks again.

Offline grathan

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 06:19:45 PM »
Perhaps the ibu ratings scale your using is different than the one the recipe intended, like rager or tinseth or whatever. I heard someone mention that the recipes from "brewing Classic Styles" were different from the default that Beersmith uses. I need to look into this myself because the one recipe I have made from this book was a bitter hop bomb.

Though this could just have easily just have been  the fault of a hob substitution suggested by the homebrew shop of using Magnum instead of Horizon.

modification