• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

English sparge in Beersmith?

seanppp

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I do an English sparge (drain all the mash water to the brewpot, add more water and let it sit for 5 minutes, then drain that the brewpot), and I can't seem to find that setting in Beersmith. I bought the program but none of the calculations really work for me without an English sparge setting. Does anyone know what I should do, or otherwise do you know if Beersmith is planning on adding an English sparge?

Thanks!

That sounds like "batch sparge" to me.  Five minutes seems a tad brief, but the process is the same. 

Since you're just rinsing the grains at that point, time may not matter. 

It's a type of batch sparging. The difference is you're not draining water out the bottom, you're removing the grains from the water rather than the water from the grains. There is no "setting the grainbed" nor is their any leaving water behind.

I selected Single Infusion mash, Batch Sparge where I am mashing with 21 quarts. It tells me to sparge with 2.85 gallons. That should leave me with a pre-boil volume of 8.1 gallons minus whatever sticks to the grain when I pull it out. That's still like ~7.5 gallons. But then Beersmith says to *add* water to get to 5.7 gallons!

And also, it says the pre-boil gravity is 1.063 and the post boil is 1.065! Only two points in a 6 minute boil!

This program is driving me crazy!!!!

Discreps like that are usually in the Equipment Profile.  If you export and post that file here, someone will likely spot an issue.

Back