This week I feature Scott Hettig, the Brewmaster at St Francis brewery and George Bluvas the Brewmaster at Water Street Brewery. Both are avid home brewers who eventually became full time professional brewmasters, and this week they share a bit of their story and brewing advice. We talk in detail about what it takes to become a professional brewer, how it differs from home brewing and how a passion for brewing is critical for success.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (35:00)
- This week we have two professional brewers – Scott Hettig of St Francis Brewery and George Bluvas of Water Street Brewery talking about what it takes to become a professional brewer.
- George talks about how he started out sweeping floors and volunteering on the brew floor, then eventually worked his way up to become the brewmaster.
- We cover professional versus home brewing processes and how to convert small batches into really large ones
- What it really takes to become a professional brewmaster
- George’s experience as a GABF medal winner – and what it takes to create an award winning brew
- Tips for home brewers looking to go pro
- What a homebrewer might be able to learn from a professional brewer
- Some of the people who have inspired our guests
Thanks again to George and Scott for taking time out to participate in the podcast!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Professional Brewing Education with Burghard Meyer – BeerSmith Podcast #66
- Pro Beer Brewing Startup with Modern Times – BeerSmith Podcast #54
- Growing Hops with Dave Wills – BeerSmith Podcast #15
- Hops and Firestone Walker with Matt Brynildson – BeerSmith Podcast #139
- Modern Times Brewery Follow Up – BeerSmith Podcast #68
- Hops and Malt with John Mallett from Bell’s – BeerSmith Podcast #69
- Nano-Brewery Start Up with Michael Mraz – BeerSmith Podcast #97
- Heretic Brewing with Jamil Zainasheff – BeerSmith Podcast 25
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now