Dr Glenn Tinseth, the author of the Tinseth equation for estimating bitterness is my guest this week. The Tinseth equation is the most widely used equation for estimating bitterness by brewers from around the world. Glenn talks about hops, bitterness, international bitterness units, hop utilization and much more.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
- This week my guest is Dr Glenn Tinseth (realbeer.com/hops)- the author of the Tinseth equation for hop utilization
- I mention I’ll be attending the National Homebrewers Conference in June
- We talk about Glenn’s introduction to brewing, and his research into hops
- International Bitterness Units (IBUs) and his research into hop utilization
- Hop flavor compounds
- His thoughts on recent research that utilization may be independent of wort gravity
- IBU measurement vs the perception of bitterness
- Why brewers tend to be focused on numbers
- How engineers shaped the early focus of brewers as the hobby evolved during the mid 1990′s
- Aromatic hop compounds and what they do for beer
- Glenn’s summer job at Mad River Brewing
Thanks again to Glenn Tinseth for agreeing to do the interview!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now