This week my guest is Dave Wills of Freshops and we talk about how to grow your own hops in your garden. Dave is a long time brewer, hop grower and also microbrewer at the Oregon Trail Brewery and he provides some great advice on how you can start your own hop garden.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (43:44)
- This week’s guest is Dave Wills of Freshops.com (a hop and hop rhizome provider) as well as Oregon Trail Brewery. Dave has an extensive background in hop growing, home brewing and professional brewing.
- In the announcements, I cover my blog article containing a first look at BeerSmith 2.0. I’ll be working pretty hard on the BeerSmith 2.0 release the next month or two, so I apologize if the podcasts come a week or two late during the launch period.
- Dave talks a bit about his background in brewing and hops – including home brewing, fresh hops and his microbrewery.
- We talk about how hops are grown and processed for use by brewers, as well as modern hop storage (near freezing).
- Dave explains the ideal climate for growing hops, and how hops are grown from rhizomes and not from seeds.
- We walk through how to plant your hops the right way up.
- Dave explains why it takes two years to really get your hops going, and also talks about how to water and care for your hops.
- We talk about the importance of full sun (South side) and a good solid hop trellis.
- Dave walks us through harvesting, drying and packaging your hops as well as how to best store them and shares a few more tips on brewing with your own hops!
Thanks again to Dave Wills of Freshops.com who was kind enough to appear on the show!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Developing Hop Varieties – BeerSmith Podcast 32
- Brewing Lagers with John Bolton, Dave Carpenter – BeerSmith Podcast #87
- Growing Hops with Jason Perrault – BeerSmith Podcast 41
- Hop Chemistry and Beer with James Altwies – BeerSmith Podcast 38
- Using Fresh Wet Hops in Home Brewed Beer
- Yeast with Dr Chris White from White Labs – BeerSmith Podcast #86
- Growing Hops in the Garden: How to Grow Beer Hops
- Hops and Malt with John Mallett from Bell’s – BeerSmith Podcast #69
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now