This week we talk about methods for making sour and wild beers using Brettanomyces yeast (Brett). Brett is used in many sour beers styles including Lambics, Gueze, Oud Bruin, Berliner Weisse, and others. My guests are Drew Beechum and Nathan Smith – both of whom have done extensive brewing using Brett.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
You can grab your free 21 day trial copy of BeerSmith 2 here!
Topics in This Week’s Episode (44:48)
- This week’s guests are Drew Beechum, author of the “Everything Homebrewing Book” and Nathan Smith, of the Destroy.net homebrewing site.
- In the announcements, I cover the launch of BeerSmith 2.0 – for both PC and Mac. The program was released just days ago, and you can grab your 21 day free trial from our main website at BeerSmith.com.
- Drew tells us some of the more popular styles that use Brett for making popular sour beer styles.
- Nathan explains exactly what Brettanomyces (Brett) yeast is and what it does to beer.
- Drew tells us what is “normal” for a Brett fermentation and cautions us to use kegging vs bottling.
- Nathan explains how to try to determine when the end of fermentation is complete and how to get the most out of your Brett fermentation.
- Drew talks about how to push the funky character forward – including adding fresh wort along with the Brett.
- Nathan talks about using fruit with your Brett beer – including blackberries and cherries.
- Drew explains why you need to keep your plastic items used with Brett segregated from your other equipment as plastic or porus materials can be contaminated by Brett.
- We chat a bit about Drew’s brewing for the AHA conference
- Drew talks about sour mashing and how it can be used as an alternative for brewing sour beer
- Nathan talks about using wood to age your sour beer and his experiments working with oak
- Both guests provide their final thoughts on brewing with Brett!
Thanks again to Drew Beechum and Nathan Smith who were kind enough to appear on the show!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
You might also enjoy these articles:
- Multiplying Your Home Brewed Beer – BSHB Podcast #5
- Brewing Saison Beer with Nathan Smith – BeerSmith Podcast #50
- Home Brewing Clubs with Drew Beechum – BeerSmith Podcast 36
- Single Malt and Single Hop (SMASH) with Drew Beechum – BeerSmith Podcast #51
- Sour Beer Brewing with Mike Mraz – BeerSmith Podcast 42
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now