This week I bring back prolific beer author and tasting authority Randy Mosher to talk about tasting beer. Tasting beer and sensory evaluation are important topics for anyone who wants to brew better beer, and Randy is an expert on both.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Reminder: BeerSmith 2 is Here!
You can grab your free 21 day trial copy of BeerSmith 2 here!
Topics in This Week’s Episode (37:00)
- This week’s guest is Randy Mosher, the author of “Tasting Beer: An Insider’s Guide to the World’s Greatest Drink” as well as “Radical Brewing”
- Randy tells us why beer the world’s greatest drink and also summarizes the story of beer.
- We discuss what is meant by “sensory evaluation” and tasting beer, and why tasting great beer is a very important skill if you want to brew great beer.
- We walk through presentation, and the importance of beer glasses.
- He walks us through how to actually taste a beer
- We talk about some of the basic terms used by beer judges to refer to key flavors in beer
- Randy explains the role beer style plays (and does not play) in great beer
- We talk about the importance of adjusting taste to match the style of beer being judged.
- Randy talks about where to learn more about tasting beer
Thanks again to Randy Mosher who was kind enough to appear on the show!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Designing Beer with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast 30
- Tasting Beer with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #89
- Beyond Barley Brewing – BeerSmith Podcast #13
- Brewing in Brazil with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast 45
- Historical Beer Myths with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #115
- Malted Grains for Beer Brewing with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #81
- Mastering Homebrew with Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #98
- Beer Brewing Q&A with John Palmer and Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #100
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now