This week I interview Chris Graham from MoreBeer.com and we talk about how to save money brewing beer at home. Given the economy, many brewers are working on a tight budget both in terms of time and money so Chris provides some useful tips on how keep within your budget and save a bit of time while still enjoying your home brewed beer.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Reminder: BeerSmith 2 is Here!
You can grab your free 21 day trial copy of BeerSmith 2 here – and brew better beer the first time!
Topics in This Week’s Episode (37:00)
- This week’s guest is Chris Graham, a partner/owner from MoreBeer.com – one of the largest online brewing supply stores. Chris is a longtime brewer, and is focused on helping brewers get the most out of their brewing dollar.
- We talk about Chris’ early experience in brewing beer, including his first home brew
- Chris explains how you can in some cases save money – especially when compared to higher priced premium beers
- We discuss how to save time, and why home brewing is a great hobby for people who are busy
- Chris provides some tips for those just starting out who are looking to make that initial equipment outlay of $200 by using items you already have, co-owning or borrowing them. He also shares some good tips on purchasing inexpensive equipment.
- We talk about building your own equipment and some of the more popular equipment you can build yourself like cooling coils
- Chris shares some tips to save money on ingredients by purchasing in bulk or sharing in group buys
- Chris talks about buying ingredients online as well as supporting your local homebrew store
- We talk for a minute about how Chris decided to turn his hobby into a full time business
- Chris shares his thoughts about why brewing continues to grow even in a tough economy
Thanks again to Chris Graham who was kind enough to appear on the show!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- All Grain Beer Brewing with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #63
- Beer Fermentation with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #91
- Kegging your Home Brewed Beer with Chris Graham- BeerSmith Podcast #79
- Bohemian Pilsner Beer Brewing with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #99
- Chilling Your Wort with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #107
- Chris White on Yeast and His New Book – BSHB Podcast #4
- Arctic Alchemy with Chris Bowen – BSHB Podcast Episode 1
- Czech Lagers with Chris Lohring – BeerSmith Podcast #113
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now