This week Curt Stock is my guest and we talk about mead making. The leap from making beer to making mead is not a large one, and most brewers have the equipment they need already on hand. Curt was the 2005 AHA mead maker of the year and serving in his second term on the AHA governing committee. He’s a member of the Saint Paul Homebrewer’s club.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Reminder: BeerSmith 2 is Here!
You can grab your free 21 day trial copy of BeerSmith 2 here – and brew better beer the first time!
Topics in This Week’s Episode (38:22)
- This week’s guest is Curt Stock, the 2005 AHA Mead Maker of the year and long time homebrewer.
- Curt discusses the basics of mead – any fermented drink made from honey
- He explains the mead making process including what you need to brew mead if you are already brewing beer
- We talk about how you can use modern techniques to keep the yeast healthy and significantly reduce the time needed to make mead (down to a few months)
- Curt shares his thoughts on honey and where to get it
- We talk through mead yeast and what Curt recommends for most meads
- Nutrients are a critical part of mead-making as the yeast will not thrive without them. Curt shares the nutrients he uses as well as how to adjust your pH.
- Aeration is critical for mead throughout the meadmaking process. Curt tells us when and how to oxygenate your beer, when to stop doing it and how to remove some of the CO2 later in fermentation to aid in fermentation
- We talk about fruits and spices used to make many popular meads and when to add them
- Curt shares his thoughts on clarity and enhancing clarity
- We talk about making the leap from beer brewing to mead making
- Curt shares his final thoughts on mead making
Thanks again to Curt Stock who was kind enough to appear on the show!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Making Mead with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast #65
- Mead Making with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast #88
- Moonlight Meadery with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast 43
- Making Mead for Home Brewers
- Brewing Beer with Honey
- Melomel – Meads and Fruit with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast #119
- Speed Brewing with Mary Izett – BeerSmith Podcast #111
- BJCP 2015 Cider and Mead Style Guide Add-ons Available for BeerSmith
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now