Porter beer recipes and brewing Porter is the subject of this week’s interview with Grandmaster Beer Judge Gordon Strong. Beer author and BJCP President Gordon shares some of his top tips for brewing an award winning Porter beer at home.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
This Episode Sponsored by MoreBeer!
MoreBeer is the sponsor of this week’s episode. You can show your appreciation to them on your next order by using the special order links here at BeerSmith.com/MoreBeer – a portion of each order will go to support the BeerSmith sites, podcast, and newsletters.
Topics in This Week’s Episode (34:00)
- This week’s guest is the BJCP President Gordon Strong. Gordon is a three time Ninkasi award winner as the top homebrewer in the US and author of the new book “Brewing Better Beer” available on Amazon.
- Gordon shares some of the history behind Porter beers, and why it is still a popular drinkable beer.
- He talks about the sub-styles and variations of Porter including Robust porter, brown porter, etc…
- He shares a typical grain bill for a Porter including his choice for base malts (Maris Otter) and specialty malts.
- Gordon talks about the “kitchen sink approach” to brewing a Porter.
- He shares his thoughts on mash profiles.
- Gordon talks about his favorite Porter hops and alternatives.
- Gordon uses a very simple hop schedule for brewing Porter
- We talk about water profiles for a Porter style
- He shares his thoughts on serving a Porter as well as brewing other Porter substyles
- Gordon talks for a few minutes about his new book “Brewing Better Beer” – targeted towards intermediate to advanced brewers.
Thanks to Gordon Strong for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Heretic Brewing with Jamil – BeerSmith Podcast 25
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now