John Blichmann of Blichmann Engineering makes some of the highest quality equipment for homebrewing including pots, three-tier systems, high end RIMS and HERMS systems and also his very popular Beer Gun. This week I interview John about everything from simple stainless pots to high end pump and temperature control systems.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
This Episode Sponsored by MoreBeer!
MoreBeer is the sponsor of this week’s episode. You can show your appreciation to them on your next order by using the special order links here at BeerSmith.com/MoreBeer – a portion of each order will go to support the BeerSmith sites, podcast, and newsletters.
Topics in This Week’s Episode (29:52)
- This week’s guest is John Blichmann (aka “The Beer Geek”) of Blichmann Engineering. John’s company makes some of the finest home brewing equipment including everything from stainless steel brewing pots and conical fermenters to high end complete RIMS and HERMS systems
- John tells us how he got into the business of building high end home brewing equipment
- We start with their stainless steel brewing pots and how they are different from an average stainless pot.
- John talks about stainless steel conical fermenters and some of the advantages of using a conical fermenter
- We talk about gravity fed brew stands (top tier system) which let you use your own equipment
- John tells us the best way to clean stainless steel brewing equipment
- We talk about the “Beer Gun” which is a bottle filler that lets you fill directly from a kegging system. I really enjoy John’s beer gun.
- John explains what a RIMS/HERMS system is and what some of the advantages are for this high end brewing system
- We talk about pumps and controllers and what to look for in each type of pump or controller
- John talks for a moment about his chilling system called the Therminator 2
- John shares where to find out the most about his equipment – from BlichmannEngineering.com
- John shares his thoughts on homebrewing in general
Thanks to John Blichmann for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Home Brewing Equipment with John Blichmann – BeerSmith Podcast #92
- Aluminum vs Stainless? Best Beer Brewing Pots
- Nano-Brewery Startup Tips with John Blichmann – BeerSmith Podcast #110
- RIMS and HERMS – Recirculating Infusion Mash Systems for Beer
- Conical Fermenter Advantages for Home Brewing
- Session Beer with The Mad Fermentationist – BeerSmith Podcast 22
- Brewing High Gravity Beers with John Blichmann – BeerSmith Podcast #117
- Head Retention with The Pope of Foam – BeerSmith Podcast 23
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now