This week my guest is Gordon Strong, three time Ninkasi award winner (best in the US) and a Grandmaster Beer Judge. We discuss advanced homebrewing techniques – specifically for all grain brewers who have the basics of beer brewing down but want to do more.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (51:41)
- Gordon Strong, the author of “Brewing Better Beer” a book for advanced home brewers, as well as a three time Ninkasi award winner, and President of the BJCP joins us this week to talk about advanced beer brewing,
- We start by discussing some of the things you need to consider once you have the basics of all grain brewing down and are designing your own recipes.
- Gordon shares thoughts on brewing water and how too many water additions can ruin your beer.
- We discuss the best use of dark grains – steeping them instead of mashing in most cases to reduce harshness in darker beers.
- Gordon shares some tips for increasing the maltiness of your grains.
- We talk about a few of his favorite hop techniques including first wort hops and late addition hops, and also why Gordon does not do much dry hopping.
- Gordon shares a few examples of how he goes about designing beer and why he makes certain choices with his beers.
- Gordon’s Recipes he mentioned can be found here: Gordon’s American Pale Ale and Gordon’s Brown Porter
Thanks to Gordon Strong for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Porter Beer Recipes with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 26
- Judging Beer with Grandmaster Gordon Strong – BSHB Podcast #6
- Going All Grain with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast #16
- Hop Techniques for Beer with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast #67
- The 2015 BJCP Beer Style Guide with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast #104
- Oktoberfest and Marzen Beers with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 48
- Beer Brewing Myths – Holiday Episode – BeerSmith Podcast 29
- Designing Beer with Ray Daniels – BeerSmith Podcast #64
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now