This week my guest is Jason Perrault, a fourth generation hop grower from Perrault Farms. Jason joins us to talk about how to grow hops at home, and along the way we also talk about how to store and use fresh hops to enhance your homebrew.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (37:48)
- Jason Perrault is my guest this week. Jason is a fourth generation hop grower who works for his family run business Perrault Farms in the Yakima valley. Perrault farms specializes in both conventional and organically grown craft beer hops including Simcoe, Summit, Ahtanum, Cascade, Citra, Palisade and the new Mosaic hops. Jason is also a hop breeder for Select Botanicals Group LLC, and a member of Hop Breeding Co, LLC
- Jason starts with a bit about his family business Perrault farms which was established in 1902 (102 years ago) in the Yakima valley
- We discuss how the high desert makes Yakima valley a very good location for growing hops
- Jason tells us how you can get started growing hops at home
- He shares his tips for planting rhizomes and fertilizing them
- We discuss how much to water them, when to feed them, and how to care for them
- Jason tells us how to train the hop bines to grow up a trellis
- We talk about how to determine when the hop cones are ready to harvest
- Jason talks about how to dry and then store your hop cones after picking them
- He shares a few of his favorite hops as well as which hops he sells the most of (Simcoe!)
- Jason shares a few of his tips for homebrewers
Thanks to Jason Perrault for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Malting Barley for Beer with Andrea Stanley – BeerSmith Podcast #59
- Schwarzbier Brewing with Jason Jaworowicz – BeerSmith Podcast #76
- Hop Chemistry and Beer with James Altwies – BeerSmith Podcast 38
- Nanobrewing Beer with Michael Mraz – BeerSmith Podcast #57
- Making Mead with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast #65
- Developing Hop Varieties – BeerSmith Podcast 32
- Nano-Brewery Start Up with Michael Mraz – BeerSmith Podcast #97
- Moonlight Meadery with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast 43
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now