This week Nathan Smith joins me to talk about how to brew the perfect Saison or Farmhouse Ale. Saison is a light, refreshing beer that is highly drinkable and Nathan shares his secrets on how to brew a perfect one.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (48:42)
- Nathan Smith is my guest this week. Nathan is a nationally award winning home brewer, and also a frequent guest on the Brewing Network.
- We start with a discussion of the history of Saison or Farmhouse Ale as it is also known
- Nathan describes the style and taste of a typical Saison
- We discuss how to brew the perfect Saison starting with the grain bill
- Nathan talks about which hops are his favorite for use in this style and how to use them
- We discuss brewing techniques to use and also the mash schedule for a Saison
- He explans which yeast strains work best with Saison, and also how to ferment them
- We talk about the sour/acidic finish that some Saisons have and how to achieve those flavors as a home brewer
- Nathan explains the importance of water in brewing a good Saison
- We talk briefly about Single Malt and Single Hop brewing – Saison is a popular beer to use with SMASH as it is a fairly simple style
- Some of the popular Saison recipes on our BeerSmithRecipes.com recipe site
Thanks to Nathan Smith for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now