This week Drew Beechum joins me to discuss SMASH brewing (Single Malt and Single Hops). SMASH brewing is a great way to not only get familiar with brewing ingredient, but also a way to simplify your brewing to create great beer with fewer ingredients.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (44:01)
- Drew Beechum is my guest this week. Drew is the author of The Everything Homebrewing Book and also the upcoming book The Homebrewers Journal. (Amazon Affiliate Links). Drew is also the former President of the Maltose Falcons brewing club.
- Today’s topic is SMASH brewing which is Single Malt and Single Hops. Drew makes the case that this is a great technique to learn about specific ingredient flavors, but also provides an overarching philosophy of how to simplify your brewing by using fewer ingredients.
- Drew starts by describing what SMASH is and why it is a great way to think about beer recipe design.
- He explains why simplified brewing with fewer ingredients is the standard in the craft brewing industry where microbreweries simply can’t afford to have too many varieties of ingredients on hand.
- We discuss some of the popular beer styles that lend themselves to SMASH brewing.
- Drew walks us through a typical SMASH recipe and how he picks the malts and hops to use.
- We discuss which hop varieties work best with SMASH
- Drew explains which malts work best
- We talk about extending the SMASH philosophy just a bit – for example almost every BJCP beer style can be brewed with just two malts.
- Drew explains how SMASH can really improve your brewing overall by giving your recipe design some focus
- We talk briefly about Drew’s new book: The Homebrewers Journal. (Amazon Affiliate Link) – which comes out in a few months.
- Some of the popular SMASH beer recipes on BeerSmithRecipes.com
Thanks to Drew Beechum for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
You might also enjoy these articles:
- Beer Recipe Transformers with Drew Beechum – BeerSmith Podcast #103
- Home Brewing Clubs with Drew Beechum – BeerSmith Podcast 36
- SMaSH Brewing – Single Malt and Single Hop Beers
- Experimental Homebrewing with Drew and Denny – BeerSmith Podcast #90
- Brett and Sour Beer Brewing – BeerSmith Podcast #17
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now