This week we discuss eco-friendly home brewing with Amelia Loftus. Amelia is an writer on ecologically friendly brewing and also a founding member of Seven Bridges Cooperative, a brewing supply shop that specializes in organic ingredients.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (42:50)
- Amelia Loftus is my guest this week. Amelia is an expert on ecologically friendly brewing and also a founding member of Seven Bridges Cooperative, a brewing supply shop that specializes in organic ingredients. She’s also working on a new book on eco-friendly brewing to published in the Spring of 2014. Amelia runs a website at AmeliaLoftus.com and also has started a new eco-friendly brewing discussion forum.
- We start with a discussion of what eco-friendly brewing is, and why it is important.
- I ask Amelia about her role as a founding member of Seven Bridges Cooperative, an organic brewing supply store. We also discuss some of the advantages of using organic ingredients in your beer brewing.
- Amelia describes her experiments with growing her own hops and grains at home.
- We discuss how to choose equipment for eco-friendly brewing and also what some advantages are of making good purchases up front.
- Amelia offers some advice on choosing chemicals for cleaning in brewing that will not harm the environment
- We discuss what to do with spent grains. Amelia has a recipe for spent grain energy bars.
- We discuss some steps to use in the brewing process to be energy efficient
- Amelia covers some ways to be efficient with fermentation and packaging
- We discuss a bit about the upcoming book she is working on in eco-friendly brewing
- Amelia provides a few closing thoughts
- Here’s a link to her recipe: Barley’s Bark Brown Ale
Thanks to Amelia Loftus for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Trends in Home Brewing with Jake Keeler – BeerSmith Podcast #84
- Designing Beer with Denny Conn – BeerSmith Podcast #55
- iPhone and Kindle Friendly BeerSmith Blog Themes
- Beer Brewing Ingredients with Jake Keeler and Michael Dawson – BeerSmith Podcast #122
- Wild Yeast Beer Brewing with Booth’s Homebrewing – BeerSmith Podcast #71
- Hops and Dogs – A Lethal Combination
- Designing Beer with Ray Daniels – BeerSmith Podcast #64
- American Homebrewers Association with Gary Glass – BeerSmith Podcast 44
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now