This week my guest is Andrea Stanley from Valley Malting. She shares with us some of the challenges in going from home brewer to creating one of the first small malt houses East of the Mississippi, as well as shares with us how you might grow and malt your own barley at home.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (50:39)
- Andrea Stanley joins me this week. Andrea and her husband Christian are home brewers who started one of the first small malthouses East of the Mississippi. They run a local malt house in Hadley, Mass called Valley Malt.
- We discuss how her family moved from home brewing to running a small malt house in Western Massachusetts.
- Andrea shares some advice on growing your own barley in small plots at home, including which grows best
- We then move on to the malting process and she shares her thoughts on how you can best malt your barley at home
- We discuss roasting and toasting malts including which systems work best for creating a variety of specialty malt
- Andrea talks about how darker roasted grains are created
- She shares her thoughts on malted vs unmalted bases for roast grains
- We talk about gluten free beer brewing and what options are available for those who are gluten-intolerant
- Andrea tells us a little about some of the unique grains she malts for local brewers
- She shares a bit about her company – Valley Malt
- We discuss the small malt house movement here in the US – how a handful of people are trying to bring back the local malt house
Thanks to Andrea Stanley for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
You might also enjoy these articles:
- Malt and its Impact on Beer with Dr Charlie Bamforth – BeerSmith Podcast #105
- Growing Hops with Jason Perrault – BeerSmith Podcast 41
- Malt for Beer Brewing with John Mallett – BeerSmith Podcast #94
- Hop Chemistry and Beer with James Altwies – BeerSmith Podcast 38
- Malting Barley with Bob Hansen from Briess – BeerSmith Podcast 35
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now