This week I’m pleased to have Ray Daniels, the author of “Designing Great Beer” as well as the founder of the Cicerone program join me as a guest. Ray and I discuss designing beer recipes, homebrewing, commercial brewing and the Cicerone certification program.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (52:32)
- Ray Daniels is my guest this week. Ray is the author of Designing Great Beers, (Amazon affiliate link) Director of the Cicerone Certification program, and a former editor for Brewer’s Publications. He is also a Senior Faculty member for the Sibel Institute, America’s oldest brewing school.
- Ray shares his thoughts on what makes a great beer!
- We discuss some advice for those just starting out with beer recipe design, as well as how to use styles as a guide
- Ray shares his thoughts on what has changed in home brewing since he wrote his book, and how the hobby as a whole has evolved
- We also discuss how commercial brewing and the craft beer industry has evolved
- Ray describes how designing beer for commercial brewing is different than home brewing
- We talk about his new project which is the Cicerone program and why he is passionate about serving beer
- Ray explains exactly what it takes to become a certified Cicerone
- He discusses how commercial, homebrewing, and the cicerone program work together to make better beer for us all
Thanks to Ray Daniels for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
You might also enjoy these articles:
- John Palmer on Hops and Home Brewing – BeerSmith Podcast 46
- Advanced Home Brewing with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 39
- Beer Cleaning and Sanitation with Jon Herskovits – BeerSmith Podcast #62
- Designing Beer with Denny Conn – BeerSmith Podcast #55
- Malting Barley for Beer with Andrea Stanley – BeerSmith Podcast #59
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now