John Palmer and Colin Kaminski join me this week to discuss their new book “Water, A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers”. We discuss the best water for brewing beer, mash pH, residual alkalinity, beer brewing water for extract and all grain brewers, water sources and much more.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (48:02)
- John Palmer and Colin Kaminski, co-authors of the new book Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers (Amazon Affiliate Link) join me this week to talk about water for brewing beer. John is the author of How to Brew as well as Brewing Classic Styles. (Also Amazon affiliate links). Colin is the brewmaster at Downtown Joe’s Brewery.
- John explains how they both got started on a book about beer brewing water.
- Colin discusses the sources of water including ground water and surface water.
- John tells us what residual alkalinity is and why it is important for managing your mash pH.
- Colin explains mash pH and talks about how it is related to residual alkalinity, the grains bill and mashing.
- John Palmer tells us how to measure and manage the pH of the mash using acids or buffers.
- We talk about the rare case where you may need to raise your pH and how to do that.
- John explains why extract brewers should consider using distilled or RO water when brewing.
- We talk about mash profiles for different beer styles and how they affect the flavor of beer.
- John tells us how you can adjust your water profile to match a particular beer style.
- Colin explains some of the concerns related to commercial brewing water.
- Both guests share their closing thoughts on beer brewing water.
Thanks to John Palmer and Colin Kaminski for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Beer Brewing Water with John Palmer – BeerSmith Podcast #60
- Brewing Water and Mash pH with Bob Hall – BeerSmith Podcast #61
- Residual Alkalinity and pH for All Grain Beer Brewing
- The Sulfate to Chloride Ratio and Beer Bitterness
- German Wheat Beer with John Palmer – BeerSmith Podcast #116
- Beer Brewing Q&A with John Palmer and Randy Mosher – BeerSmith Podcast #100
- Using the New Brewing Water and Mash pH Tools in BeerSmith 2.3
- Five Tips for Beer Brewers from John Palmer – BeerSmith Podcast #82
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now