Francis Booth and Leslie Deppert from Booth’s Brewing join me this week to talk about making beer with wild yeast. Wild and native yeasts are used in many Belgian styles, and Francis and Leslie share their experience brewing beer at high temperature with wild yeast.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (39:21)
- Francis Booth, the founder of Booth’s Brewing Homebrew shop and Leslie Deppert from Booth’s Brewing and the brewmaster for ESB Brewing join me this week to talk about brewing with wild yeast.
- Francis discusses how they got started brewing with local wild yeast strains and how they harvested them.
- Leslie explains why a home brewer might want to try brewing with wild yeast.
- Francis and Leslie discuss developing a started and some considerations when working with wild yeasts
- We discuss how to handle infection and why it is important to separate plastic equipment when working with wild yeasts.
- Leslie provides some pointers on fermenting wild yeast
- Francis talks a bit about open fermentation and fermenting outside
- Leslie tells us about some of the beers she has brewed so far using wild yeast
- They both share their thoughts on some brews they intend to try next
- Francis tells us about his home brew supply shop, Booth’s Brewing
- Leslie and Francis talk about their newest business, ESB brewing, which is a small brewery and tasting room they will be opening early next year.
- They both offer closing thoughts on brewing with wild yeasts.
Thanks to Francis Booth and Leslie Deppert for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Brewing a Lager with Erik Schmid – BeerSmith Podcast #56
- Jays Brewing with Thomas Boman – BeerSmith Podcast #126
- Sour Beer Brewing with Michael Tonsmeire – BeerSmith Podcast #85
- The Future of BeerSmith and BeerSmith News
- Pilsner Beer Brewing with Erik Schmid – BeerSmith Podcast 40
- Sour Off Flavors in Home Brewed Beer
- Beer Brewing Like a Pro – BSHB Podcast #7
- Beer Cleaning and Sanitation with Jon Herskovits – BeerSmith Podcast #62
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now