This week I discuss Belgian Strong Ale Recipes with Michael Mraz from Mraz Brewing Company. Michael tells us how to brew the perfect Belgian Golden Strong including the grain bill, hop schedule, fermenting and finishing your beer.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (38:34)
- Michael Mraz is my guest this week to discuss Belgian Strongs. Michael recently launched Mraz Brewing Company in El Dorado Hills, CA. Michael is also an award winning home brewer who has twice won California Homebrewer of the Year and also won awards at the National Homebrew Competition. He previously joined us for BeerSmith podcast #42 on sour brewing and also podcast #57.
- We start with a discussion of Belgian Golden Strong and how it fits in with other Trappist and Belgian style ales.
- Michael provides a bit of history on this style of beer.
- We discuss brewing a Belgian Strong, starting with the grain bill used.
- Michael explains the mashing techniques he prefers when brewing a Belgian Strong.
- We discuss the use of candi sugar (and sugars in general) in Belgian Ales
- He explains which hop varieties work best with the Belgian Golden Strong
- Michael describes the yeast strains he prefers, as well as why yeast is such an important component in this style
- We talk about fermentation schedules to use for Belgian Strong as well as finishing/kegging
- Michael explains what makes a good overall Belgian Strong ale.
- We spend a few minutes discussing the progress Michael has made with Mraz Brewing Company – his new mico brewery – since we last interviewed him about it in episode #57.
- Michael adds his closing thoughts on Belgian Golden Strong.
Thanks to Michael Mraz for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Nanobrewing Beer with Michael Mraz – BeerSmith Podcast #57
- Nano-Brewery Start Up with Michael Mraz – BeerSmith Podcast #97
- Mead Making with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast #88
- Sour Beer Brewing with Michael Tonsmeire – BeerSmith Podcast #85
- Sour Beer Brewing with Mike Mraz – BeerSmith Podcast 42
- Melomel – Meads and Fruit with Michael Fairbrother – BeerSmith Podcast #119
- Brewing Like a Monk with Stan Hieronymous – BeerSmith Podcast 37
- Oktoberfest and Marzen Beers with Gordon Strong – BeerSmith Podcast 48
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now